Key West chickens relocating

merryreader

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
The beautiful State of Maine!
Has anyone seen the news that they are being captured and relocated. If I missed a newer post, I'm sorry, but I would really like to help and I want to adopt some of the chickens. I just need to know how to go about doing this. Has anyone adopted a chicken from Key West and I would like to know how it went. Thanks Merry

I didn't know about that....

i though the people there liked the wild chickens. Guess not.

*hey-- we live near there and don't even know for sure. Personally, I suspect they "relocate" them to a Everglades gator farm.
hmm.png
But, I know some counties actually hire people for chicken-catching crews, usually 7-12 person teams!

Last edited:
d.k :

*hey-- we live near there and don't even know for sure. Personally, I suspect they "relocate" them to a Everglades gator farm.

What?!
barnie.gif
Those poor chickies...

Honestly I need to read up on them a bit, guess I hadn't heard too much about them.

DK, are they pests there?​

*Well, we have bird-fighting, santa rhea, home egg raisers, etc., etc., and when they escape that or get turned out they breed-- like euerything else down here, and yeah-- they can be a prob-- like the parrots, geckos, rabbits, pythons, tarantulas, kudzu, iguanuas, you name it!! If it gets loose-- it'll survive and thrive, usually. . .

Last edited:
I went to the Keyes last summer, loved seeing all this chicks everywhere!! I think there is mixed feeling in them there. Here are pics from our vacation there--without the KIDS!!

This one is from Hemingway house, my husband wanted to to kiss the rooster. Tihs is as close as I would get, he looked pretty weary of me!
IMG0162.jpg

Here is a momma and some chicks!
IMG026.jpg

I loved seeing them everywhere! Very cute. They all looked pretty healthy too and the local shop use them as a tourist attraction with stories of how they came to be there.

hope they are okay.

*It's partly the type of society we have here-- can get kinda frou-frou snooty at times. "Roos are noisy, hens make messes, they cause disease, etc.. PLUS the whole "non-natiue species" issue. So much for survival of the fittest. How do they know what's really a native species, anyhow???

Last edited:
A friend of mine just went and meet the lady who helps in the rescue and she picked up about 30 of them. She is bring me my 2 this week. They are nice looking birds and very friendly she said plus she was able to get a bunch of babies when she was there also. I can pass the email address along if anyone is interested and you can contact Sally for more info. I believe she picked up 300 key west chickens this go round and the next one is in a few months I think.

Back
Top Bottom