KFC vs Tyson

Quote:
False. No chicken raised in the US is allowed to have hormones.

I'm not so sure that this is false...
http://earthschoolblog.wordpress.com/2008/11/29/if-you-eat-tyson-chickenyou-need-to-know-this/

1. That's a blog, not scientific work.
2. Coccidiostats (the huge issue that the blog is referring to) are not hormones and not antibiotics, technically.
3. Do you know how much it would cost to inject or feed hormones to the birds? The birds grow so large thanks to selective breeding and a diet that is specifically formulated for optimum growth. I.e. feed conversion.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/meat_&_poultry_labeling_terms/index.asp#15
NO
HORMONES (pork or poultry):
Hormones are not allowed in raising hogs or poultry...the claim "no hormones added" cannot be used on the labels of pork or poultry unless it is followed by a statement that says "Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones."

Other than home cooked chicken, I prefer KFC's original recipe.
droolin.gif

What about beef? is that different? Coles have recently just started a campaign letting everyone know that their beef does not contain any hormones.

I found a way around all that. We buy all our meats - chicken, beef and pork - from a neighbor. All grass and range fed. Nothing added.

Ew, neither! I only eat humanely raised meat (Applegate farms brand and meat raised/hunted by me or someone I know), my own hens' eggs, and I use soy or almond milk instead of milk whenever I can because of the disgustingness of the meat/dairy industry.
As to which of those companies is better, KFC and Tyson's chickens are probably raised in the same places in the same way and are the same breed/ feed the same food.

Quote:
Again, Tyson supplies KFC with their chickens. There are no Tyson fast food restaurants that I know of.

From wikipedia.org:

Tyson Foods is one of the largest U.S. marketers of value-added chicken, beef and pork to retail grocers, broad line food service distributors and national fast food and full service restaurant chains; fresh beef and pork; frozen and fully cooked chicken, beef and pork products; case-ready beef and pork; supermarket deli chicken products; meat toppings for the pizza industry and retail frozen pizza; club store chicken, beef and pork; ground beef and flour tortillas. It supplies all Yum! Brands chains that use chicken (including KFC and Taco Bell), as well as McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Wal-Mart, Kroger, IGA, Beef O'Brady's, small restaurant businesses, and prisons.

From the same previous posted link:
NO HORMONES (beef):
The term "no hormones administered" may be approved for use on the label of beef products if sufficient documentation is provided to the Agency by the producer showing no hormones have been used in raising the animals.

http://www.thecattlesite.com/articl...harmaceutical-technologies-in-beef-production
The science indicates that use of supplemental hormones in cattle has only a miniscule impact on hormone levels in beef – well below the natural hormone levels in beef or the amounts produced naturally in our own bodies. According to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), a person would need to eat over 13 pounds of beef from an implanted steer to equal the amount of estradiol naturally found in a single egg!1 One glass of milk contains about nine times as much estradiol as a half-pound of beef from an implanted steer. And remember, it’s not just animal products that contain hormonally active chemicals. A half-pound potato has 245 nanograms (ng, or 1 billionth of a gram) of estrogen equivalent, compared with 1.3 ng for a quarter pound of untreated beef and 1.9 ng for beef from an implanted steer.2

I like corn fed beef and can't stomach the texture or flavor of grass fed and its triple the price for no good reason that I can find.
sickbyc.gif
Plus, contrary to popular belief, corn fed has been shown to be healthier in some important ways...

http://agnews.tamu.edu/showstory.php?id=1934
"We did see many positive effects in men that consumed ground beef from corn-fed cattle. The ground beef from the USDA Prime cattle increased HDL cholesterol and LDL particle diameter. Both effects are protective against cardiovascular disease. The Prime ground beef also decreased insulin, so it may have some protective effect against type II diabetes."

Smith said the study results surprised many. "As we talked to some user groups and told them that we had found pasture-fed beef is higher in saturated trans-fat, they were shocked."

Smith presented the findings to the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association last year and is now sharing among consumers and producers. He recently gave a presentation at the Texas Human Nutrition Conference in College Station. Smith said he did receive some initial negative feedback from ranchers in the grass-fed beef business, but he isn’t telling them that what they are doing is wrong.

"I know that cattle are adapted to growing on high-roughage, pasture diets, but my focus is the beef product," he said. "A lot of producers are receptive. What I’m trying to show them is that the longer cattle are fed a corn or grain-based diet, the healthier the product will be."

"I realize cost is involved – feeding corn is expensive. But, if you want a healthier product, you need more marbling. Time on feed is a big factor."

The study team included Dr. Rosemary Walzem, AgriLife Research poultry scientist, and Dr. Stephen Crouse, researcher from Texas A&M University’s health and kinesiology department.

Last edited:
Quote:
False. No chicken raised in the US is allowed to have hormones.

I'm not so sure that this is false...
http://earthschoolblog.wordpress.com/2008/11/29/if-you-eat-tyson-chickenyou-need-to-know-this/

It's still false. The article on the blog you pointed to is discussing antibiotics.
Anti-biotics and hormones should not be confused. Again, no hormones can be used in the production of chickens for either meat or eggs in US.
If we wish to discuss the over-use of anti-biotics, fair enough. The discussion dominates the conversation here among back-yarders. Their use is quite prevalent here as well.

Back
Top Bottom