Khaki Campbell has a swollen joint/elbow

Karenlong

Hatching
Feb 10, 2015
My duck Purple Bill, has had a swollen joint or what I call the elbow for almost 2 months. She is hopping around and using her tail to help balance herself. When I first noticed it I took her to the vet, he didn't believe it was broken, but x-rays would be needed to be sure. Because x-rays are so costly he suggested giving her a shot of antibiotics that release over a two week period. So thats what we did, and $147.00 was paid and we were sent home. 2 months later, she is no better but no worse either. I feel bad with the weather breaking and the snow melting all the other ducks are starting to run around again and she tries but gets tried hopping around quickly. She is eating and drinking normally and laying. The joint is still warm to touch and the swelling is soft and lumpy. I have thought about putting a split on it, lancing it, wrapping it, or should I get more antibiotics?? Not sure what to do.

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear Purple Bill is not 100% :hugs I'm not a duck expert and can't say exactly what it could be but if it were my bird I would be confining the bird so the leg has chance to begin to heal. It could be a pulled tendon or ligament in the leg or even a fracture which antibiotics would not fix hence your bird has not got any better. Confining should give it more chance of healing and repairing. For more expert advice I would post in the injuries section of the forum here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope Purple Bill is feeling better soon and you can get her on the road to recovery. Wishing you the best of luck with her :fl

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock"

I'm sorry to hear about Purple Bill's injured leg!
hugs.gif
I would post in the Emergencies section that Yorkshire Coop linked to for some more help. Best wishes to you and Purple Bill!
fl.gif

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yorkshire Coop and Kelsie have given you great links.

So sorry for your duck!
hugs.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about Purple Bill.
hugs.gif
Hopefully, members in the Emergencies section can help!

I wonder if some swimming in a tub of warm water would make it easier on her. Water bears her weight and even if she doesn't swim - she would be floating on warm water.

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom