Khaki Hen question

Invision

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
Washington, Kitsap County
I have four ducks at the moment and 3 are laying eggs daily, but one is not. I have noticed that one of the ducks lower area is hanging way lower than the rest of them. I am hoping this is not a stuck egg problem, but i'm pretty sure it's not just because I can 3 eggs every day. I think one of my hens thinks shes a male but I'm positive she's not. Could the low belly be a cause for concern or just see how she does? I mean it's been this way for over a month and I've never not go 3 eggs...

Have you felt their pelvis? That is a good way to tell who is laying. You will be able to tell the difference in who is laying and who isn't, it can be a few inches wider when they are laying eggs. Metzer has a good article on it. As far as a low belly, it can be a sign of obesity. Have you checked her keel? Is she just overweight? Pictures would help a lot.

I'm starting to lean towards a fat duck because I had a quail that had a stuck egg and she died within 3 days (yes I tried to help her with mineral oil and Vaseline) and this hen has been this way for over a couple of months. sill eats drinks and poops so, she must just be a fat duck.

I'm starting to lean towards a fat duck because I had a quail that had a stuck egg and she died within 3 days (yes I tried to help her with mineral oil and Vaseline) and this hen has been this way for over a couple of months. sill eats drinks and poops so, she must just be a fat duck.
Do you know how to check the keel? It's the breast tissue of the duck. It is the easiest way to check if she is overweight.

So turns out she just has a ton of eggs in her, yesterday when I couldn't tell which one it was... So either that or she just had a lot to eat that day... There is one hen (assuming its her) that just sits by the feeder and water all day... need to put a automatic feeder in for them I guess...

Checked the hen again and I think she's on her last leg, I couldn't feel anything inside her so it is probably Botulism... I'll give her till the weekend and think I'll have to end her suffering. I don't take my livestock to the vet so sorry if anyone doesn't approve. The other 3 hens are fine though and the drake, well he's the drake and thinks he tuff stuff...

Back
Top Bottom