Kicking Rooster - How do I put him down humainely?

Quote:
Agreed.

And something to start doing while you decide your best method of putting him down, would be working on being domanant to the roo.

For instance when he fights you you need to stand up to him.. stomp your feet at him and chase him. When you are around don't let him chase or breed your other chickens. Eachtime he trys with anouther chicken you need to chase him off of her. Teaches him that you are head roo.

Last edited:
Take a look at the link to my rooster page in my signature line, it might be of some help.
wink.png

I just read that link and was surprised that, even though I had not read it before, that is exactly what I do with my rooster. He is not overly aggressive but needs a reminder every couple weeks or so. He is actually great with the hens and does not even fight with my other two roosters. He does flare up at me if I approach the flock quickly though. I typically grab him, let him hang upside down for a few seconds, and then turn him upright and carry him around with me. It will calm him down for a while. However, roosters are always looking for their chance to rise up in the ranks so will probably need a reminder on a regular basis.

If a bird is overly aggressive I don't believe in rehoming. It passes a dangerous situation on to someone else. Additionally, temperment can be bred for, or against and I would not want the bird potentially fathering more chicks.

Richard

I butchered my roos I didn't want to but I could not find a home, There is nothing wrong with culling your chickens for food ? She is asking for help how to butcher she made up her mind already don't make her feel guilty.
woot.gif

I had someone do the job for me and I saw her do it and the roos actually fell asleep while she was pucking some of the neck feathers to slit its throat. Next time I think it will be with a swift sharp knife.

This is what we do.

love.gif
frow.gif

Well i dont feel guilty just sad and depressed. And i have tried to let him know who is boss in exactly the way you guys on this forum have suggested and nothing works. i'm really disappointed and surprised that he wont submit and believe me i hate the idea of butchering him. the roosters are my favorite. they have more personality and they are much prettier in my opinion then the hens, but you got to have the hens for the eggs. i have 2 other roosters besides him who are as nice as can be.
this is the last resort over passing my problem onto someone else (and that's not really an option, in my husband's and my opinion).
thanks for all y'alls help.

rooster-red, how do you grab them and hold them? i have tried the stomping and not being scared of him. i'm not scared of him at all. i just dont want him harming my children. your link was very helpful and it gives me hope. i really dont want to put him down if i can help it. i havent tried picking him up - even though when i first got him i picked him up some. how would i do that? just grab him by his body when he is flaring up or by his neck or what? i will try anything before i have to butcher him. i will give him another few weeks if this will work. who knows. maybe i'm not being aggressive enough with him. but i feed them and love on them. how am i seen as a threat? i understand about my children. they make noise and move quickly and things like that, but i really try not to make him nervous and he is still being dominate. i dont know?

Chicken Wendy...

I don't know if you've thought of this...but surely there is a butcher shop close by, or some sort of game processor that you could maybe take him to and have the deed "done" rather than having you do it yourself?

I can't imagine them charging you if you didn't want to have the bird to eat.

While I don't agree with culling...I can CERTAINLY respect and understand your point, too...so I just want you to know you're doing what is right and best for your family...I guess...supporting you is what I should say...because you already know it is right and best.

I also commend you on the fact that you did not want to just hand your problem off to someone else...it appears that is probably why you got him on Craig's and his previous owner just kept "mum" about it.

I just had to re-home 2 of my roos...they are young and were fighting 'til the death. In my case, however, it was a territorial battle over 6 hens...so a re-home was possible, because to humans, they are the sweetest gentlemen you'd ever see.

I just rehomed because I didn't want more blood-shed, as well as the possibility that my children could accidentally "challenge" their roo-ness...and get spurred.

I got spurred once with "growing spurs" from my roo, Billy...man, that hurt! I can only imagine what would happen with "full on" spurs.

I agree don't pass on your troubles if you can take care of it yourself. It would be different if you were just going to cull it out and then do nothing with it. This will be good practice if you are planing on raising meat birds in the future. Atleast he will be getting completely used. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom