Kicking Rooster - How do I put him down humainely?

ChickenWendy

Songster
12 Years
Dec 3, 2007
Chesapeake, Virginia
I have the meanest rooster. i got him off of craigslist when he was 4 months old. he's 6 months old now. he took to being the top dog (so to speak) because all of my other chickens are only 4 months old - so he is 2 months older and huge compared to the other 10 chickens i have - all standard breeds. i have 2 other roosters but they have been raised with the hens that i have from hatch and they are all very pleasant so far. this rooster is a black austrolorp and he has taken to kicking and just being extraordinarily mean to everyone any time we go out to the coop - to feed them, to put them up for the night, etc. we can not turn our backs on him. i cant have him hurting my children. i dont want to admit this but he has to be but down. how do i do that humainely, or rather how does my husband put him down humainely??
we have tried everything and he isnt understanding that he cant be mean to us.
i have no clue about butchering chickens and i have no problem putting him in the stew pot, but what do i do? help please???

dont kill em just sell him
wink.png

Well, you can go to the meat bird section and see the many ways to process a chicken there. I personally wouldn't want to rehome a problem rooster, but that is me.

You can also google "how to butcher a chicken" for a few methods.

I find a hatchet to be the quickest and most humane way to get a roo in the stew pot. Of course everyone has their "favorite" way to dispatch a bird.

Here is a good link that information on how to butcher chickens.

I wouldn't feel right about selling a nasty roo to someone else, so I think the stew pot is a good place for him. Waste not, want not.
wink.png

i refuse to rehome a mean, kicking rooster. if he is kicking us and being extraordinarily mean for no reason why wouldnt he do that somewhere else? why would i do that to someone else? he was fine for the 1st month, but he has just gotten bad. no rehoming. but thanks for that advice. i may not get to put him in the stew pot, but i figured there was a nicer way to put him down then to get out my shotgun. but today after the way he acted with my 13 year old, he's a goner. i wont have my children scared of a chicken. and i never wanted to do this to a rooster, especially him because he is gorgeous, but i have seen the damage a mean rooster can cause. summer's coming and my kids will be wearing shorts and things. plus why do i want them afraid of chickens? it doesnt have to be this way. i just wanted a nice way to do the deed. oh well.

Back
Top Bottom