Kids and weird eating habits

Quote:
five, and still being fed? wow, now that's sad, how's he ever gonna learn to get around in the world? is his mother overprotective/overmotherly or he just wants her to do that for him and hes spoiled and she does? either way, she better stop that, and soon, he's never gonna learn to fend for himself, thats sad.

*edited for spelling/grammar* lol

His mother is my hubby's sister........I am wondering if it is genetics LOL! His mom is not overprotective or overmotherly. She just dont like the "messiness" that kids create when they eat independly. She was agasted when I let my dd from infant to around three years old (now six) to play with her food, missing her mouth, dribbles down her chin and shirt, her hair. I told her kids are washable and so are clothes! So in order to get him to eat, she would tear meat in penny sized pieces to feed him. And yes, he is very very picky. Refused to eat any veggies. AND get this, she constantly gives him ExLax just about everyday for the first two years of his life.

Last year she told me that she is going to test her son for ADD. She is frustrated about it all. He is slow among his peers. I have not heard from her since then.

Wow.. she sounds pretty scary..
hmm.png
Poor kid..

Quote:
what does he eat? just breads and pastas

His diet consists mostly:

Peanut butter sandwiches...sometimes he would add potato chips or Chex cereal for crunchiness.
Potato chips and mashed potatoes and french fries. No other style of potatoes. No gravy or butter.
Grilled cheese sandwiches
He has been eating like this since of the age of nine I believe as his mom told me. He is now 47 years old. His cholestrol is excellent, 105! BP usually ranges in the 100/80.
Does not work out but at his workplace, does heavy machinery.
Loves chocolate chip cookies with NO nuts or anything else, Sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies (without nuts)
. Likes cakes without frosting as long it is not fruit related like coconut or banana cakes.
Jello, artifically flavored and no fruits added.
Chocolate milk on occasion, Root Beer on occasion but mostly water he drinks. On hot days, Gatorade for work.

wow I may need to go on that diet.

Quote:
His mother is my hubby's sister........I am wondering if it is genetics LOL! His mom is not overprotective or overmotherly. She just dont like the "messiness" that kids create when they eat independly. She was agasted when I let my dd from infant to around three years old (now six) to play with her food, missing her mouth, dribbles down her chin and shirt, her hair. I told her kids are washable and so are clothes! So in order to get him to eat, she would tear meat in penny sized pieces to feed him. And yes, he is very very picky. Refused to eat any veggies. AND get this, she constantly gives him ExLax just about everyday for the first two years of his life.

Last year she told me that she is going to test her son for ADD. She is frustrated about it all. He is slow among his peers. I have not heard from her since then.

hmm.png
Poor kid..

My husband is 43 and he still misses his mouth and dribbles down his chin---only to get stuck in his beard.

I just skimmed the posts and I am tired. Wow. I will tell you I have some of the least picky eaters but they did not start out that way. They would not eat beans, peas, salad, any type of meat other than lunch meat, fruit..... you see how well it was going. I finally had it. Everyone, including my picky husband, has to at least try a spoon of everything. I do try to make things taste good and I will avoid some things simply because I know thats a battle I lost. My son hated green beans. He got one small spoon of them each time I made them. I made them with sour cream or with bacon and garlic. He would always eat them first to get it over with. He now will ask for more. We went on vacation and the kids were dying for veggies. My SIL does not serve any because her husband and kids won't eat them and my kids were begging to go to the grocery and just buy a can. At this point they have tried thai food and love it. Some of the suishi rolls. Most veggies.

Everytime we try a new food everyone has to at least try a small bite of it. If the don't like it we will continue to try everytime I happen to cook it. I don't make it constant to push the subject but I don't avoid it.

Quote:
His diet consists mostly:

Peanut butter sandwiches...sometimes he would add potato chips or Chex cereal for crunchiness.
Potato chips and mashed potatoes and french fries. No other style of potatoes. No gravy or butter.
Grilled cheese sandwiches
He has been eating like this since of the age of nine I believe as his mom told me. He is now 47 years old. His cholestrol is excellent, 105! BP usually ranges in the 100/80.
Does not work out but at his workplace, does heavy machinery.
Loves chocolate chip cookies with NO nuts or anything else, Sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies (without nuts)
. Likes cakes without frosting as long it is not fruit related like coconut or banana cakes.
Jello, artifically flavored and no fruits added.
Chocolate milk on occasion, Root Beer on occasion but mostly water he drinks. On hot days, Gatorade for work.

wow I may need to go on that diet.

Not advisable LOL! Even hubby is healthy as a horse but tiredness and sometimes anemic pops up now and then, particuarly when he donates blood to the Red Cross....so that is how he can get himself tested LOL! He does not have alot of stamina if he goes into a heavy work load like doing something like roofing job. Other than sleeping 10-12 hours a day if I let him, he is fine.
He had a full blood test by our family doctor and besides being borderline anemic, doc said he is fine in all other counts!
tongue.gif
If I was to go on that diet, I would be hungry all the time, my body would just go on overdrive for protein. I know peanut butter has protein but not enough. He can eat roughly between four to five peanut butter sandwiches (white bread only) a day, seven days a week for years. His body is used to it.

I do not know of the long term ramifications of not having meat, fruits or veggies however I do not see scurvy on him unless scurvy comes in different levels.

Quote:
hmm.png
Poor kid..

My husband is 43 and he still misses his mouth and dribbles down his chin---only to get stuck in his beard.

gig.gif
A REAL built in napkin!

I, as a 28 year old mother of 3, still refuse to eat, and have never even TRIED: * means I tried it once

Froot Loops
Trix cereal (and most other dyed, sugary cereal)

Mustard
Olives (black* or green)
Arugula*
Greek Yogurt,
Kefir
Hot-dogs
parsnips,
sausages,
Bacon,
(have had steak, but never hamburger)
Over easy eggs (uncooked yolk freaks me out)
Tarter sauce
Rye bread
tequila (worms are gross)
Any little debby snacks (ho hos, twinkies, etc.)
Miracle whip,
cool whip,
packaged pudding (other than chocolate)
Sushi
bologna
pepperoni
Kholrabi,
white asparagus *
Fennel
Korean food,
Thai food, ( I like chinese and japanese food)
Kombucha,

i can't think of any more, but I'm sure there are lots. I just tried doritos (the blue bag) for the first time a month ago... sort of a love/hate thing... have no plans to try any other colors. So when My kids say they don't want to eat something... i kind of understand.

I don't have any children of my own, but we did raise 3 little cousins of mine that belonged to two different cousins for several years starting when I was 12 yrs old until I was 23 yrs old. They were all boys, & they were like my own children to me. We had them each for several years beginning as babies until their parents got straightened out or in one case, just decided they wanted them back. The youngest was 2 mos old when we started raising him & he was 6 yrs old when he went back to his dad & grandmother. He was the one that was most like me (& still is), so he always liked almost anything, especially if it was a vegetable. The other 2 were much pickier. The rule that we set was that they had to take at least 2 nice-sized bites of each thing on their plate & if there wasn't anything they liked at all, then they could have either a sandwich or a bowl of cereal. I don't think it ever came to that because they always found something on their plate they liked.

I remember that they did have some odd likes & dislikes. The oldest when he was 5 or 6 yrs old didn't like steak, but he did like "snake" (which is what he always called steak). If you told him it was steak instead of "snake" he wouldn't touch it. The middle one wouldn't eat cake unless it had fig preserves on top (this started when he was 3 & lasted for several years). He loved potato salad, but he wouldn't eat anyone else's but mine & he liked it with diced vidalia onions in it. The youngest was the funniest. When I would cook or bake a cake he always helped me & he wanted a little taste of every ingredient that I used. Because of that he decided that he loved the taste of butter/margerine, buttermilk, & cream cheese. I would catch him sometimes standing in front of the fridge with his fingers in the butter tub
lol.png

They all loved peas & beans, but we go pick peas & beans every summer & put them up. We always made a big deal about it & took them with us, & I always gave them their own pan to shell. So, I think that helped a little.

Last edited:
chickensducks&agoose :

I, as a 28 year old mother of 3, still refuse to eat, and have never even TRIED: * means I tried it once

Froot Loops
Trix cereal (and most other dyed, sugary cereal)

Mustard
Olives (black* or green)
Arugula*
Greek Yogurt,
Kefir
Hot-dogs
parsnips,
sausages,
Bacon,
(have had steak, but never hamburger)
Over easy eggs (uncooked yolk freaks me out)
Tarter sauce
Rye bread
tequila (worms are gross)
Any little debby snacks (ho hos, twinkies, etc.)
Miracle whip,
cool whip,
packaged pudding (other than chocolate)
Sushi
bologna
pepperoni
Kholrabi,
white asparagus *
Fennel
Korean food,
Thai food, ( I like chinese and japanese food)
Kombucha,

i can't think of any more, but I'm sure there are lots. I just tried doritos (the blue bag) for the first time a month ago... sort of a love/hate thing... have no plans to try any other colors. So when My kids say they don't want to eat something... i kind of understand.

GASP! You've never had a twinkie or ho ho??!!! You scare me...
hide.gif

Hmmmm....the only picky child I have is my youngest. It would be easier to make a list of the things she LIKES than doesnt, it would certainly be a smaller list.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom