Kids Trader Joe's eggs hatched! - Update on Joey on post #147

Hey, I see you live in the same county as I do.
wink.png

If this doesn't work out...I have fertile eggs, and will be hatching with my classes; but I can spare a few extra for an 8 year old with an inquisitive mind.

Quote:
We do that too! My 4 1/2 year old is just figuring out about scale--he was blown away yesterday when he realized that the day 7 picture was the same as the little dancing embryos we watch through the candling scope. Science is cool
cool.png

Trader Joes was my favorite store before, and now it got even better!!
ya.gif
clap.gif
What was Justino's experiment anyway? How did you build the incubator, I want to try that! Your son is lucky, my school doesn't have science fairs or science projects where you can choose what you want it about, and judging by the age of your daughter(I could be wrong though) I am probably older than him!

This is from memory. Justino wanted a silkie and mom wouldn't get him one. He got a little 3 egg incubator. Tested it with an organic egg from a natural market (a little fuzzy on the details here) and it hatched. A few other folks here on BYC have had luck trying, too. Do a couple of searches. There's a lot out there on these.

With Justino's, it wasn't an actual science experiment for school.

My son is 10. From 3rd grade on it is required in our district to do a science project. My daughter is doing it for fun. She is doing all the work and discovery, but not typing up a report or anything.

I have looked all over their website and the internet and can't get any answers. However, I doubt the store managers are aware of who their eggs are produced by if its not on the box. Maybe I will email their corp. offices.

Update:

We currently have 6 out of the original 9 that were fertilized still developing and in the incubator. When I candled last night, 3 are dark for sure, 1 pretty dark, and two are probably 2 or 3 days growth behind the others. Since it is a homemade incubator the temp is probably not consistent throughout, so that could account for the 2 delayed eggs maybe. I will leave those in until at least Wed. or Thurs. just to be sure. We had opened the 3 eggs we took out; they did develop a little, but stopped early on, between 5 and 8 days.

I am thinking Sunday is the due date. We put them in on day one at 2pm, so it just might be Monday. The kids and I have been discussing all the things that could go wrong between now and then, to make the possible disappointment of no success not as much of a shock. I really hope my daughter has at least 1 hatch successfully. However, if not we will repeat the incubation part of the experiment a couple more times, just in case, since it is my son's actual science project to see if Grocery store eggs can hatch.

This is fantastic!

I hope you have successful hatches, and if you do, you should create a BYC Page out of the experience with pictures of the carton, eggs, hatchlings, etc! I'd love to have this kind of stuff added to the site!!

Back
Top Bottom