Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

Pics
This thread may not be at balut-warp speed yet, but it's getting close!

I, too, have hatch envy. I'm staring daggers at my poor hens, hoping to see one start clucking and camping out in the nest box. My rooster is feeling it too. Today I saw him sitting in front of a nest box with several eggs in it making clucking sounds and trying to call the hens back in. He may love broody hens even more than I do.
That is too cute!

I'm glad a can keep a legal roo. Many of my neighbors have them as well, and I love hearing different crows off in the distance.

My dilemma is going to be if I hatch out a gorgeous orpington or maran too. I'm not ready to let Duke go, for all his bad genes.
How many hens do you have, is it enough for two roos?

I'm excited to see what the horse egg chicks look like.
Hate to be the Party pooper, when should I start listening for peeps under my hen, meaning they are getting ready to hatch, afraid of disturbing the hens at this late date ( about 1 week left) or am I just going to get pecked in the head trying to put my ear so close to the nest? What about putting a stethoscope under the hen? Or am I still just going to get pecked in the head? Don't really mind being pecked in the head if I can get an idea of what is going on. anyone?? :bow Please!
Just envious of those whose eggs are already hatching. :sick
I never heard any peeps from under my hens. Honestly, a tight sitting hen is a complete mystery. I never know if anything has hatched until I see a head poking out from under her -- and believe me, I spent my share of time watching! I had a hatch where I was convinced only one chick had hatched, because that's all I could see. I was worried because a rotten egg exploded on the nest late into the hatch, so I knew there was a problem. By day 23, and only one chick visible, I was searching feed stores to try to find another chick. I finally decided to lift her up and check, and lo and behold, there were 3 fully dried and fuzzy chicks under her. I now understand where the expression "I never heard a peep" comes from.

How many hens do you have, is it enough for two roos?
Right now, only 8 and one of them has a water belly :hit, so it's only a matter of time before I have to put her down. Quality of life is still high, but it's not going to stay that way for long. It's breaking my heart. I'm hoping to hatch out 3 or 4 hens, which will get me up to 10 or 11. A little thin for two roosters. Duke's not quite the mating machine he once was, but still. I hate to see bare-backed hens.

Back
Top Bottom