Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

Kiki I would give the egg a few more days before deciding to pull it - I doubt it explode in that time and you would feel more certain about its viability if you give it a few more days in the incubator. I hope the other egg makes it. :)

We just found a broody hen today...she is sitting between several plants in the garden - I have no clue how she has remained hidden this whole time except you can't see her unless you are right next to her. We only found her because we heard peeping. We were able to spot two chicks, but she has been sitting tight on the spot and not moving, so I am assuming there are probably more she is currently hatching. The chicks we could see were fluffy and may have hatched yesterday - how does the hen know whether to take care of the first chicks or keep sitting on the eggs which might be hatching? We put water about a foot in front of her and will put out chick food tomorrow too. She is in the very center of the picture.

KIMG1177.JPG

Kiki I would give the egg a few more days before deciding to pull it - I doubt it explode in that time and you would feel more certain about its viability if you give it a few more days in the incubator. I hope the other egg makes it. :)

We just found a broody hen today...she is sitting between several plants in the garden - I have no clue how she has remained hidden this whole time except you can't see her unless you are right next to her. We only found her because we heard peeping. We were able to spot two chicks, but she has been sitting tight on the spot and not moving, so I am assuming there are probably more she is currently hatching. The chicks we could see were fluffy and may have hatched yesterday - how does the hen know whether to take care of the first chicks or keep sitting on the eggs which might be hatching? We put water about a foot in front of her and will put out chick food tomorrow too. She is in the very center of the picture.

View attachment 1377047
Congrats!

Under mama, chicks fluff up nicely in a couple of hours. We had a girl hatch eggs in September, and I checked around mid-day and saw a couple of pips. Around 3-4 that afternoon, I checked and there were 2 fluffy babies and a wet one.

View attachment 1377047
Woot! Did you not know she was missing each night at lock up?:confused:

View attachment 1376791 View attachment 1376794 If you need a cheap temporary incubator, a small hot plate with a thermostat built in works great for a heating element. You can even find them at thrift stores. A small fan to blow air on it helps too! Here is a picture of mine. I put it in my incubator one day when my heating element went out. It saved my eggs! It does take some fiddling to get the temp right since 99 is not labeled.
How neat!!!

Back
Top Bottom