Killer chickens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bkbuz1987, Jan 30, 2009.

1. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I've been dealing with mice in the coop and mouse turds in the feed. It's was getting so bad that I had to bring in the feed at night. Since the chickens don't eat at night anyway and I was having to throw out too much feed. Since I started doing that my killers chickens have taken care of at least two mice. The first one was still alive when I took it away, but soon died after and other one I had to forcefully take away from my largest Buff O, she was eating it. Now I wonder just how many they have killed and eaten. If they are or have eaten a mouse it should hurt them should it? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
  3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Nah, just let them eat the mice. It's free protein (or paid-back protein for all the stolen feed).

You shouldn't put out ANY poison if the chickens are eating the mice. NONE.

You'd be surprised how big a mouse a chicken can eat. Unless the mice are huge or you have small/young chooks, it shouldn't be a problem for them to eat the mice.

Many chickens are better mousers than cats. It's that whole "my great uncle was a dinosaur" thing.

4. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    No, I haven't put any poison out there. I was too afraid they would get to it somehow. All right I'll let them chow down on the rodents next time I see them with one. I've seen what they do to the large grasshoppers we have out here. They rip them apart and fight over them. So much for the feed stealers!

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    chickens are just mini feathered T-rex

6. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    The mice wont hurt them unless they are too big to eat. I just lost one of my girls because she choked on a mouse. [​IMG]

7. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] Ya kill me Jenn [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm glad I ran across this thread tonight. I had a little too much excitment this afternoon as we took out the hay bales in the run. Silly (and stupid) not-a-country girl didn't even think that mice would live in them over the winter. So many mice ran out as we moved the bales! The chickens were going crazy chasing them (I was screaming, lol) and I was worried if they should eat them or not. I guess my worries are as silly as me! [​IMG]

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:That's right, dinos never went extinct they just evolved into birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by