Killer queens or heart attack?

Sadhighway

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 17, 2011
Not sure if anyone can answer this. I put a young rooster into the pen with 5 ladies. He was pecked but they settled and all seemed fine until bedtime. On the night he did not go in the coop. We did put him in the coop. We went in this morning and he was dead in the coop. No missing feathers not missing eyes or damage noted. Yes he was very young , my partner said he was crowing a week before so we tried . He was (as said) , dead in the house, the girls had laid 2 eggs by him. Any one know what I may have done wrong as i have another male and do not want them to kill him if he goes on. Its a new purpose build pen, please give me your views as I don't know what to do.

Not sure if anyone can answer this. I put a young rooster into the pen with 5 ladies. He was pecked but they settled and all seemed fine until bedtime. On the night he did not go in the coop. We went in this morning and he was dead. No missing feathers not missing eyes or damage noted. Yes he was very young , my partner said he was crowing a week before so we tried . He was as said , dead in the house, the girls had laid 2 eggs by him. Any one know what I may have done wrong as i have another male and do not want them to kill him if he goes on. Its a new purpose build pen, please give me your views as I don't know what to do.
Did you do any type of physical exam on the body? Any lumps? bumps? injury? Ultimate without a necropsy you'll likely never no the answer. However sudden deaths among chickens is not totally uncommon. Could be heart failure, genetic issue, constipation, anything. What is *probably* true though is that you didn't do anything to kill him.

I am so sorry! I would feel his little neck bones to see if he flew up into a wall and broke his neck.
His neck was solid as was most of his body and he was in an Omlet pen so could not have flown as he never got out. No evidence of pecking, he seemed in good order , they had not removed his feathers. I thought it was because he was a juvenile ? I really dont know and guess I never will. He only crowed from last week.

Back
Top Bottom