Killing cones inhumane?

I admire anyone who raises their own meat animals, gives them a good life and then slaughters humanely. If everyone who ate meat did that (or purchased their meat from a farmer who did) we would not have the cruelty that is factory farming.

I was vegetarian for years until I read the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. So now I get meat and milk from local small farmers (and eggs from my backyard!)

And yes growing soy is not that great for wildlife- takes up a lot of habitat. If vegetarians really want to help animals, plant some native plants on your property to help return it to it's natural state, and only buy food that is raised humanely. its fine to be vegetarian but just don't try to convert everyone else to it (just like its fine to be whatever religion you want, but then let others be in what religion they want, or none for that matter...)

A few folks asked for a video showing how to pith a chicken. This is the video that I used to gather the strength to kill my first chicken (actually it was a nasty rooster that had to go) I think they do an awesome job showing that the killing process does not need to be graphic.

Someone else asked what size cone to use - well I've processed 45 meaties (ranging in dressed weight from 5 - 7.5 lbs) this year using nothing more that a bleach bottle screwed to a tree.

Quote:
Well said!

Another problem with soy that in my opinion does not get NEAR enough attention is that consuming large amounts of soy products is not healthy. I know at least three women now, all at or nearing middle age, who have acquired severe thyroid problems that have been linked to soy consumption. All were vegetarian or primarilly veg and ate soy products like tofu, TVP, soy milk, etc as a large component of their diet. Contrary to what some still seem to think, the latest info suggests that soy is not the miracle protein that it was once thought to be. Also, tellingly, if you look at the research of Westin Price for example, no traditional cultures incorporate large amounts of soy in the diet, and when they do consume it, it's done carefully in small amounts, usually just as a condiment, and almost always fermented (which neutralizes the anti-nutrients/toxins)--tamari, miso, or tempeh, for example. Besides, the amount of available amino acids in modern soy products is less than impressive anyway--in spite of how they've been hyped. Vegetarians would be better off sticking with whole foods like grains and beans for the bulk of their amino acids, which are a healthy and time-tested way to get the protein you need (although IMO for most people a little good quality meat now and then is a very healthy supplement to a plant-based diet).

Having bled out 2/3 of my blood volume over 25min... I can testify, at least for ME, there was no real "pain".
I remember being fully conscious for about 3min, enough to put a robe on & walk to the vehicle (was faster than waiting for an ambulance), after that I was just in & out of awareness, no pain. I remember specifically telling the nurse loudly (since it felt like I had ear muffs on lol) that 'that should hurt, but it doesn't' as I watched her try to place an IV in my forearm. It was like pressing your finger on your arm instead.
But I can say, had I not been focused on staying alive & conscious to talk to the Drs., I think I would have given in & closed my eyes & never woken up, it felt very peaceful to do that at the time.
From outside observers, they said when I'd pass out, I'd start screaming & writhing- so maybe on some level I was feeling pain or maybe it was adrenaline, etc., but I know I never consciously "felt" it.

Comparing this to something the size of a chicken & the fairly small blood volume, the absolute loss of that much of its blood volume, as quickly as during a proper neck slice, would deem it unconscious extremely quickly (even moreso if the bird was calm & not flailing about to begin with). I prefer the killing cone with a full beheading because of my experience with the in-&-out-consciousness & it gives me the heebies-jeebies to think the chicken might experience that- even though I know it's VERY unlikely if done properly.

I followed the link to pith a chicken(very informative thank you so very much) but like I am sure everyone does I got sucked into watching others listed below that. I came upon one where a gentleman doing research on methods to humanely kill a chicken found (and demonstrated) that according to PETA the most humane way to kill a chicken is not braking the neck, beheading, nor electrocuting(obviously) but to put them in a 'chicken gas chamber' where they place the chicken in a container(such as a 5 gal bucket) close the lid then pump said bucket full of CO2! This way the chicken suffers for 3 minutes or more gasping for air. Now I don't know about you but I would much rather be comforted and be calm and have my head severed and lose conciousness in a few seconds instead of being shoved in a bucket gasping for air for several minutes. I think PETAs idea of humane is a little off.

lau.gif
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

MammaDuck, it is amazing how you stayed alive! If it is not too personal, could you tell us how you got cut? Cutting one's finger could be ouchy or a very bad mistake with a power saw.....ooooo, that would be very bad!

Back
Top Bottom