Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
Thanks so much. I hope I can find this again in a couple months when we need to harvest! Do you have other homesteading pictorials available?

Thank you frugal. Excellent resource and I vote for this to become a sticky...if no one else has already.
smile.png

If you go to youtube and search for joel salatin featherman, you can see a video of killing, eviscerating, cutting, etc... He shows a bit different method for eviscerating, neither is right or wrong just a style. The videos show slowmo incase your are wondering how to hold, where to pull, etc...

Awesome pictures here though, pretty sure you could do it without the videos.

Why is it that regardless of whom you buy from, there is always an abundance of roos in the birds you receive?!

That's a moot point now, with the new-found knowledge I have from this thread, and that bossy little sucker that is terrorising my flock is going down!

big_smile.png

Thank you so much, Frugal!

Now, if I can just get the nerve to try it. ... I've watched the process but I'm not sure if I can do it. But somebody has to, I guess, and if I'm going to raise chickens for food then I need to be willing to do this part, too. I've cut up many a chicken and I've plucked them, too, but never have killed one. My granny used to wring their necks and I know I cannot do that. Hubs is squeamish; he'd probably pass out, so I guess if we kill our own it will be me.

Excellent instructions!!!

I looked up chicken pluckers and they are expensive! Are they really worth the money?

Aunt Bea

Last edited:
@ frugal

Eggcellent tutorial, Frugal. Thank you so much for posting.

This definitely beats the "old fashioned way" of processing chickens with my Grandmother.
I remember many a times chasing the chicken down, ringing it's neck, dipping then plucking for EVER (it seemed like).
wink.png

In the near future we will be processing a few chickens. I wish I could get my hands on one of those defeathers/pluckers.
They don't have them for rent in my area... I wish they did. As soon as we safe up for one we'll get one or build one from scratch.
We're interested in the 'wizbang' manual... it'll just take a bit of time and finances.

Again, thank you so very much for the tutorial. You did a fabulous job.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom