Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Just did my first chicken. Not as clean as yours but thank you so much for getting me as close to it as you did. Great instructions that I am bookmarking for the future. Don't know what I'd done without your advice

This is WONDERFUL! We started raising Chickens last year and got a few mature ones that will need to be turned into food. I'll be using this step by step!

Just a few questions... how long do you dunk the birds for in the boiling water and ice bath? I want to make sure to do it right.

Also you said you used detergent in your boiled water... what detergent and in what ratio?

Any help would be great.

Again thank you!

Thank you! We don't butcher often, so I need a refresher before each time. I'll be trying the detergent in the water for the first time.

After culling, I take each bird by the feet and swish in a fine gallon bucket of water to which I have added about a teaspoon of dish detergent (any brand). Swish until the feathers get soaked and the bird is wet to the skin.

This gets some of the dirt off so that your hot water stays cleaner (in switching to clean water you'd have to wait till the new batch comes up to temperature). It also breaks down the waterproofing oils a little so that when you put the bird into the scalding water it permeates more quickly.

Take the wet soapy water bird (again by the feet) and plunge up and down, swirling around into the scalding water. Best water temperatures vary. I have done birds in Arkansas and now live in The southern Rocky Mountains at much higher elevations. I used to scald about 140-145. Now I scald about 151-153. So you may have to adjust to a particular temp that's successful for you.

How do you know what's working? Swish for about 20 seconds and test pull one of the largest wing feathers. If it slips out easily, your bird is ready to pluck. If not, swish 15 seconds more and try again. If it doesn't pull easily, you need to up the temperature.

I don't ice bath. I go straight to a table and start pulling the large feathers- wings first, then tail. Once those are out the the remaining small feathers "pluck" easily with a good swipe of my hand- wing, wing, back and neck; flip bird to swipe the wing, wing, front, legs, and neck. Go back over to make sure it's mostly clean.

Then I take it into the house to put the carcass under running water and slip out and feathers I've missed. Cut the feet off at the joint, the head at the top of the neck, and it's on to evisceration.

Pretty slick. But. There as many ways to do this as there are people that do it. Give yourself permission to adjust and you'll find a "formula" that works so easily for you you'll wonder why you ever thought it was an exact science.

Good luck!

After culling, I take each bird by the feet and swish in a fine gallon bucket of water to which I have added about a teaspoon of dish detergent (any brand). Swish until the feathers get soaked and the bird is wet to the skin.

This gets some of the dirt off so that your hot water stays cleaner (in switching to clean water you'd have to wait till the new batch comes up to temperature). It also breaks down the waterproofing oils a little so that when you put the bird into the scalding water it permeates more quickly.

Take the wet soapy water bird (again by the feet) and plunge up and down, swirling around into the scalding water. Best water temperatures vary. I have done birds in Arkansas and now live in The southern Rocky Mountains at much higher elevations. I used to scald about 140-145. Now I scald about 151-153. So you may have to adjust to a particular temp that's successful for you.

How do you know what's working? Swish for about 20 seconds and test pull one of the largest wing feathers. If it slips out easily, your bird is ready to pluck. If not, swish 15 seconds more and try again. If it doesn't pull easily, you need to up the temperature.

I don't ice bath. I go straight to a table and start pulling the large feathers- wings first, then tail. Once those are out the the remaining small feathers "pluck" easily with a good swipe of my hand- wing, wing, back and neck; flip bird to swipe the wing, wing, front, legs, and neck. Go back over to make sure it's mostly clean.

Then I take it into the house to put the carcass under running water and slip out and feathers I've missed. Cut the feet off at the joint, the head at the top of the neck, and it's on to evisceration.

Pretty slick. But. There as many ways to do this as there are people that do it. Give yourself permission to adjust and you'll find a "formula" that works so easily for you you'll wonder why you ever thought it was an exact science.

Good luck!

Great tips! Thank you! I will try your soapy water idea first before scalding. I completely agree with you about it not being an exact science. After being so exhausted after each processing, I tweaked my method to cull and pluck outside, but do the evisceration in the house where all my tools are fingertips away, I'm not hunched over and the sun isn't beating on my back.

Following because I'll be butchering 8 in a few weeks, for the first time.

How did it go?
Great tips! Thank you! I will try your soapy water idea first before scalding. I completely agree with you about it not being an exact science. After being so exhausted after each processing, I tweaked my method to cull and pluck outside, but do the evisceration in the house where all my tools are fingertips away, I'm not hunched over and the sun isn't beating on my back.

Someone else recently mentioned to me that they do the eviscerating inside the house. I had not even consider doing such a chore inside, but I do understand it. Especially since, as you said, it is much cooler in the house! Not to mention no flies!

If anyone wonders, the reason for the ice bath is to prevent tearing of the skin. It is just a preventative.

Do you still have to let it sit 24 hours if you cut it up after culling and cleaning it or can I just cut it up package it and freeze it right away

Do you still have to let it sit ​24 hours if you cut it up after culling and cleaning it or can I just cut it up  package it and freeze it right away

Cutting it up does not really do anything. However, you can freeze it immediately. You do have to let it defrost in the refrigerator for the recommended two or three days when you take it out of the freezer.
So, you're just letting it rest out of the freezer rather than fresh kill.

Back
Top Bottom