Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
Oh wow! This was a very informative posting. Love the visual aids. I have never killed/harvest chickens before. I remember seeing my great aunt chop the heads off when I was little, and could never imagine doing that myself. However, now that my husband and I are raising chickens for the eggs and meat, I must assist in the harvesting of the meat. This prepares me mentally for what is involved. It also helps to have some knowledge so I can help my husband, rather than sit back a cry over my hens' death. Thank you for your detailed instructions.

Hi, im sure some asked about the cone you used but with limited internet and no local supply shops im curious how its made. Looks like a large frosting cone you invert the bird in? I got my first 2 chicks 3 wks ago and im still not settled here. They live on my balcony for now. Slaughtering of animals is normal here so when time comes im sure I can find someone to show me how its done locally. Ive cut up chickens from whole store bought birds most 40 yrs now so that I dont need help with. With all the local butchers getting tools shouldnt be hard and the burner you use is used here for cooking wedding or other forms of community meals. Not to expensive. My biggest issue is where they slaughter so I hope by the time these layers become food for the table I can have a decent place put together. BYC is making my dreams a lot easier to invision seeing how so many others are raising chickens in non industrial settings.

Hi, im sure some asked about the cone you used but with limited internet and no local supply shops im curious how its made. Looks like a large frosting cone you invert the bird in? I got my first 2 chicks 3 wks ago and im still not settled here. They live on my balcony for now. Slaughtering of animals is normal here so when time comes im sure I can find someone to show me how its done locally. Ive cut up chickens from whole store bought birds most 40 yrs now so that I dont need help with. With all the local butchers getting tools shouldnt be hard and the burner you use is used here for cooking wedding or other forms of community meals. Not to expensive. My biggest issue is where they slaughter so I hope by the time these layers become food for the table I can have a decent place put together. BYC is making my dreams a lot easier to invision seeing how so many others are raising chickens in non industrial settings.

Some people use plastic jugs (bleach or milk type usually) with the bottoms (and possibly part of the neck) cut off, either screwed or nailed to a post/wall.

There are patterns available on line too if you want to make your own. There are recommended sizes depending on the type of fowl. It's a rolled up trapezoid.

I used aluminum flashing and fastened it with some very short self-taping screws with the heads to the inside. First one took me about 20 minutes to make. The next one less than 10.

Yes, I should have said the one gallon jug. I don't have chickens, but it's been large enough for me to use on a Silver Appleyard drake, which should be as big as any chicken you'll want to do. Of course, ducks have kind of long necks. I just shove their head into the jug while holding their wings close to their body with the other arm. Then I reach up into the bottom of the jug and grab their bill and pull down while guiding the body and wings into the top. Once the head is out I use a very sharp knife to cut their throat and they bleed out into the bucket I put under their before the whole process got started. It doesn't take long at all and they are very calm and quiet while it is happening. They don't like getting put into the jug but once there they get very quiet.

I showed this process to my cousin from South Louisiana who was raised killing chickens with a hatchet on a stump, and then letting them run around bleeding everywhere afterwards. He was amazed at how easy it was and how well it worked. He went home and told all his friends about it and they were just in awe. A lowly vinegar jug.....But it does make the whole process much easier and calmer, and there are no broken wings or damaged body parts.

Back
Top Bottom