Kind of a dumb question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MagsC, Sep 30, 2008.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Okay, this is kind of dumb but I suppose the only REALLY stupid question is the one that is never asked![​IMG] Sigh.
    One of our first chicks we hatched out has greenish colored legs, our full blood Americauna has the same kind...does this mean our chick is an Americauna cross or do many other breeds have the same color?

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well, it depends where you got the egg from?

Were they advertised as a different breed?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If they were sold to you with the incorrect spelling for ameraucana as "americana", then you have EEs. Pure ameraucana do not have green legs - they should have slate legs to meet the standard of perfection. I would guess with green legs, they are a cross (otherwise known as the EE).

Jody

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Sometimes leg color is tricky and darkens or lightens when the chick gets older. Also, some colors have darker colored legs regardless of the breed.

Do you have any pictures of the chick? Also, if these chicks are from your own eggs, do you know what rooster or hen he may have come from?

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    The chicks are from eggs I bought online from two separate places. The reason I thought the mixed chick (the woman I got that egg from has a mixed flock, dont know all what kinds) might have some Americauna is because of the green legs. The full blood Americauna chick has green legs as well.
    I have been promising pictures for a while and will TRY to accomplish that! I am a horrible photographer but maybe I can bribe my daughter. I still have to post photos to a thread in incubating as well.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by