1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

King Pigeons for raising squabs

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by cowboy1up, Feb 4, 2014.

1. cowboy1up

cowboy1up Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Mid-Tennessee
    Any one else out there raise squabs to eat? I have two pair of utility King pigeons that I harvest the squabs at 25-28 days. I dress them out and either prepare them for roasting or grilling, or I will freeze them for future consumption. They are delicious, tender and very nutritious...good protein. The best part is I don't have to do a thing until they are ready. Kings are larger than most pigeons except for Runts and Giant Homers. Any thoughts? I have pics if anyone interested.

2. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    So you have 2 pairs of King pigeons... That gives you four squabs every 3-4 months? I'm just wondering. I'm also interested in pigeons for hatching quail (I think they will produce more and faster as far as meat). I don't like the idea of having to incubate and I have heard of others successfully using pigeons to hatch quail. I even heard the pigeons will give me eggs in the mean time and I figure I can always let them hatch some of their own too =)

3. cowboy1up

cowboy1up Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Mid-Tennessee
    Actually I get squabs more frequently. I'm not familiar with how long quail require to hatch. A pigeon expects their eggs to hatch in about 18 days but will sit an unhatched egg longer. If quail hatch sooner, not sure how this works out. Obviously you don't want pigeons feeding quail, not that they will. Best of luck

4. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Oh so every month and a half! That is much better than I expected!

5. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    I would love to know more about raising pigeons. That old 'Texas Pioneer utility pigeon' thread was great.

Pictures would be very appreciated.

What does your coop look like? Do you have a fly area with your coop?

How did you get started? Any good books/resources you can recommend? (not as easy to find info like it is with chickens! [​IMG] )

Cheers!

6. Curtiejlee

Curtiejlee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Pigeons are super easy and fun to breed and keep! The way to start is to build a loft and purchase good quality birds from a reputable breeder. Feed them a mixture of red wheat and layer pellets during spring and summer, and feed a cracked corn and layer pellet mixture during the colder months. Mine breed from February to, occasionally December. Always supply a calcium grit, especially during the breeding season. If you we're o start keeping kings, a flight would not need to be provided as they could free fly.

7. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    So the larger King pigeon breed will still free fly... if given the choice? I was under the impression the larger utility breed pigeons didn't have much of a desire for flying. Or are at least content with just some outdoor aviary space.

I live near a lake, so lots of hawks and eagles. I'm planning on building a shed this year and was imagining turning one side into a loft with aviary cages hanging off the side.

Appreciate the info!

P.S. 200th post... huzzah!

8. Curtiejlee

Curtiejlee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    All my birds free fly! Utility, homers, fancy, ornamental! I now let them out for half an hour about five days a week under my supervision. We have a terrible hawk and owl problem. Kings are about the size of larger banties so it'd need to be a pretty big aviary. My pigeon
    aviary is 6' tall, 5' wide and 10' long.
    [​IMG]

9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I almost lost one of my white homers to a hawk yesterday. He was right on her tail feathers for about 25 to 30 seconds (it seemed longer than that at the time). The pigeon was able to out maneuver the hawk finally and it gave up the chase. When ravens are around my older homers like to have some sport with them. Problem with that is my younger squabs sometime fall prey to ravens.

10. muscovydrake101

muscovydrake101 New Egg

Apr 26, 2013
    Michigan
    Do you still have pigeons you would like to sell, if so I am interested depending on the price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by