Kitchen scissors for processing?

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Each time my friend & I process chickens together we try to figure out how to make the next session go even easier. This last time we thought that perhaps we didn't have the best knives for the chore, and that some better, sharper knives would help.

So I posted a request on FreeCycle, to see first if anyone in the area had some nice sharp knives they no longer were using. Instead, I got several replies suggesting we use good kitchen scissors.

Has anyone ever used them for processing? Would they work well for cutting around the neck and around the vent? Could they also be used for cutting off the feet & for cutting the bird into quarters? Do you have a favorite brand/style to use? Someone even suggested using tin snips from Home Depot, what do you think?

The scissors I tried last year were not butchers scissors, but kitchen scissors. they did not work all that well, they were for the kitchen not for butchering meat.

As far as using tin snipes. I don't think those would work to well.

Yes butchers scissors do work, I use to have a good pair. I don't remember the brand but they were old,

Tom

The regular kitchen shears are not going to be a good choice.

SHARP knives are the best way too go.

Buy yourself a couple good 3-3.5" pointed end knives and a sharpening stone and you'll never look back. Make sure to get the ones that are made for poultry. And a good boning knife.

If you are going to use scissors, get the butchering ones. As all the others will not stay sharp long and are not strong enough, they will break.

Here is a link to get some good supplies from ..... http://www.chickenpickers.com

Last edited:
Kitchen shears would be great for halving a bird, cutting through ribs, etc, but as for taking legs/head off, you'd be better off just working a knife blade between joints and cutting the tendon/tissue. Otherwise, you'll get bone chips and ends in your meat.

Back
Top Bottom