Kittens in the coop?!

InNC

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
At 3 am I found two small kittens in my chicken run area. They were just a squealing for a mom that is no where to be seen. Since it's pouring outside I brought them in and dried them off a bit. They had dug a hole just big enough to squeeze into the coop. (I fixed it) When the rain slowed, I put them in a box with a towel and put them in a covered area outside. The bigger one bolted into the woods. The smaller weaker one is going around the yard crying. I know it would be best to let it's mom find it. But how long can I safely leave it out there? What would you do? 20230527_071352.jpg

I'd bring them both inside and consider myself the proud owner of two new kittens.

They can't survive long without their mother. The elements and starvation will kill them soon, if a predator doesn't get them first. I think a feral or stray mother cat was probably moving them somewhere (den flooded?) and they got separated - but she likely would not have left them through the storm unless she'd already abandoned them, or was in the process at 3 am of moving the litter into the coop and hadn't finished yet.

At any rate, feral cats only live 2-3 years at best (according to my vet). They fall victim to predation and disease very quickly. You'd be doing the neighborhood and these kittens a favor by taking them in, getting them vaccinated and spayed, and at least caring for them until they're old enough to fend for themselves in the wild, or die of old age in your home.

Last edited:
I'd bring them both inside and consider myself the proud new owner of two new kittens.

They can't survive long without their mother. The elements and starvation will kill them soon, if a predator doesn't get them first. I think a feral or stray mother cat was probably moving them somewhere (den flooded?) and they got separated - but she likely would not have left them through the storm unless she'd already abandoned them, or was in the process at 3 am of moving the litter into the coop and hadn't finished yet.

At any rate, feral cats only live 2-3 years at best (according to my vet). They fall victim to predation and disease very quickly. You'd be doing the neighborhood and these kittens a favor by taking them in, getting them vaccinated and spayed, and at least caring for them until they're old enough to fend for themselves in the wild, or die of old age in your home.
One was much bigger and healthier. It took off, into the woods, the minute I put the box down. The small one is still outside wandering from place to place crying. I've been keeping tabs on where it goes. It's close to my back door. My motherly instincts are torn. I want to go get it, but I feel terrible if it's mom is looking for it. 😟
Thank you for the advice. You have a great point. 👍

One was much bigger and healthier. It took off, into the woods, the minute I put the box down. The small one is still outside wandering from place to place crying. I've been keeping tabs on where it goes. It's close to my back door. My motherly instincts are torn. I want to go get it, but I feel terrible if it's mom is looking for it. 😟
Thank you for the advice. You have a great point. 👍
It's been, what, 6 hours? The mother isn't looking for it any longer. Really, she's not. She has her other kittens(?) and is tending them, or has fallen victim to something herself. Please go get that baby and put some food out for the other kitten and maybe its mother.

Back
Top Bottom