Kitty and Dog Thread, Show Me What You Got, other critters welcome too

I had lots of fun breeding and raising budgies. Mine were so tame because I handled them daily.

I need to handle mine more! They’re still a bit afraid of me or at least my hands but seem much more confident and happy in the new cage at least. :) although Dizzy keeps crash landing :lau :th

I need to raise them though. I think it would be a lot of fun. Plus then maybe I wouldn’t have to buy more cause I’d have free babies LOL

My adults were always scared. The babies I raised were completely different because from day one I took them out individually and handled them. By the time they were weaned they had no fear of people. That early handling changes everything.

That makes a lot of sense!!! I might have to try it!! Although I’m so worried I’ll mess up and kill them or something haha

Nah it’s okay you’re not lol tbh I wanted to anyway!! :lau

I just worry too much lol do they take care of them themselves or ?
The parents raise the babies, and feed them. It's been a few years. I used to sprout seeds to bring mine into breeding condition, and for the parents to feed the chicks. I just removed chicks daily one at a time to handle them. We mounted the box on the outside of the cage, so it was easy to open the lid, and keep an eye on stuff.

The parents raise the babies, and feed them. It's been a few years. I used to sprout seeds to bring mine into breeding condition, and for the parents to feed the chicks. I just removed chicks daily one at a time to handle them. We mounted the box on the outside of the cage, so it was easy to open the lid, and keep an eye on stuff.

Thanks!! That’s good to know!! Sounds easy enough!! What sorts of seeds? And should the box be low so they don’t fall or would they prefer it be high or?

Thanks!! That’s good to know!! Sounds easy enough!! What sorts of seeds? And should the box be low so they don’t fall or would they prefer it be high or?
They generally want the box as high as possible. The boxes are designed so the eggs or chicks can't fall out. There a wooden insert with a bowl shape where the hen lays her eggs directly on the wood.

I just sprouted their regular seeds. I would have one dish going always so I could feed them daily. I got all my information from some books I bought way back in the 90's. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom