knives for butchering

qumumd

Chirping
15 Years
Sep 11, 2007
I can't seem to find good sharp knives for butchering. Killed a roo this a.m. and I had a terrible time getting him butchered. and my hands are not as strong anymore so difficult to break the joints too. what knives and brands do you prefer?>

Following!

I'd love to know what others have used because I also did not have a good enough knife set last time. I was thinking of buying some knives from this set McMurray is selling, particularly knife #3, but I'd love to hear more experienced people weigh in on this.

There's a game knife that has replaceable razor blades for the edge. Also, a good game processing kit with a couple knives should work. (Caping knife and boning knife are my favs) Wear a cut proof glove on your non-cutting hand - even touching yourself with these will cut you up.

Still figuring this out myself. I have good knives but can't seem to sharpen them well.

Like this or similar (read cheaper)
https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-ROC-30-Razor-Pro-Orange/dp/B00ZNV1RZI

This is the kit I have, and I like it a lot. Would like it better if I could sharpen it well (my fault I'm sure, it came perfectly sharp).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DLGCZHU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This Morakniv is an excellent butchering knife

For actual processing, I prefer what is sometimes referred to as a venting knife like this. It's referred to as a venting knife because it takes a small precise knife to cut around the vent

Both of these maintain a very sharp edge, but we always sharpen before and throughout butchering

I can't remember make and model but I prefer a hunting/skinning knife with replaceable blades. I don't want to stop and sharpen a knife in the middle of butchering. If you want to sharpen those blades later and reuse them you can. Some people are not comfortable sharpening at all.

I also have a pair of poultry shears I use on certain cuts to keep the knife sharp. I part mine as I butcher so I use the poultry shears to take the feet off, cut the neck, remove wings, remove breasts, any place that I could cut bone or cartilage and dull a knife.

Back
Top Bottom