Knocked my rooster out cold :( is he ok?

In your defense, he hadn't acted that way before and they can come at you like lightning. The last time one got me I had deep puncture wounds in my thigh and shock in my brain and he was well on his way away before I realized what had even happened (that rooster had never even cackled at me before). The next time though...I was watching and waiting for the attack. And wearing long pants. This was your wake up call: have a plan on how to deal with him, maybe you can turn this situation around. Best wishes to you and the Knock-out Roo, too!

You can take advantage of this situation and retain the upper hand with your rooster. It's true he's a bit afraid of you at the moment. But he will test you soon. You need to be ready for that. He will still be wary, and it will likely be a sneak attack.

As others have mentioned, be aware of his location at all times. Don't turn your back on him or let your guard down. But when he does sidle up to you to test how much he can get away with, be ready to snatch him up and hold him in a football hold. Walk around with him under your arm, especially parade the captive in front of the hens. This will humiliate him which he needs.

Keep holding him for a while, especially if he's struggling to get away. Only turn him loose after he calms down and submits.

Do that every time he decides to make a run at you. Be ready for him. He will learn quickly that you won't stand for foolish behavior from him. Be consistent.

As long as he's behaving, ignore him. Some people say not to let him mate in front of you. This is stupid advice. Ignore it. You must show him you trust and respect him to carry out his rooster duties, and mating is one of the major ones. Respect flows both ways. If he realizes you trust him to do his job, he will eventually trust you to do yours.

I wrote an article about training cockerels, but there are many other good ones here. Do some reading. If nothing else, it will help you understand what makes these roosters tick. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/i-think-i-have-a-cockerel-now-what-do-i-do.76274/
Wow! What an amazing response. Thank you so much!

If you couldn’t tell already, he’s a really confident roo and has no problem getting extremely close to me. The main problem with grabbing him is how quick he is with his spurs. He’s drawn blood from me twice before so I’m considering wearing some gardening gloves, sweats, and a coat the next time I try and parade him around. I’ve removed a roosters spurs before using the baked potato method years ago but I’d prefer not to do that. Hopefully by using your strategy he’ll be my buddy in no time!

In your defense, he hadn't acted that way before and they can come at you like lightning. The last time one got me I had deep puncture wounds in my thigh and shock in my brain and he was well on his way away before I realized what had even happened (that rooster had never even cackled at me before). The next time though...I was watching and waiting for the attack. And wearing long pants. This was your wake up call: have a plan on how to deal with him, maybe you can turn this situation around. Best wishes to you and the Knock-out Roo, too!
Yikes I’ve never had anything that bad before, only a few scratches that bled for a bit.

The roo that spurred me was a good one. I spent a lot of time trying to figure him out. He was perfectly docile until he heard a hen fuss. At that point, if I was near them, he came after me. Didn't matter that the hen was fussing at another hen, he came after me. I learned his trigger and learned to plan my coop activities with consideration for his protectiveness. It wasn't perfect. He actually got me in the other leg about a year later...

Back
Top Bottom