Knot on my duck's foot--please help

TwoDogFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2014
North Carolina
So my husband and I just finished treating one of our ducks for an infection and now, we have another problem with another one of the ducks.

One of our Pekin ducks has something going on with her foot and I don't know what to do to help her. I've noticed her limping a lot lately, but every time I've looked at her foot, I haven't seen anything wrong with it. Today, I noticed that she was having trouble walking and didn't want to get up when I threw some scratch to all the ducks. She just laid there, unlike herself.

When I looked at her foot, I noticed a huge knot on it sticking up on top and when I picked her up, there was a quarter-sized knot on the underside that looked like it was about to burst open. I immediately thought bumblefoot, but I knew I couldn't do anything about it until my husband could help me. We cleaned her foot when he got home and there isn't a scab on it. He took a needle and stuck it in the top of the knot, thinking that if it was infected, puss would come out. The only thing that came out was blood. He then stuck the needle in the bottom of her foot and the same thing happened. He said it felt really hot to the touch and really hard and tight.

Does anyone have any idea what this is or what to do about it? I can tell she's in pain with it as it is and I don't want her to suffer.

Just so you know, the two black spots on the bottom picture are where my husband stuck the needle in.

Time for a trip to the vet I think.
I wish we could, but unfortunately that's not an option for us right now.
sad.png

I wish we could, but unfortunately that's not an option for us right now.
sad.png
Penicillin injections may help that you can get at TSC.. I'd treat asap to keep it from spreading must be some kind of bumble foot. and pus in a duck is hard cheesey stuff not liquid like in other animals. also soak her foot in warm Epsom salt water a couple times a day 1 cup to 1 gal of warm water [don't let her drink the ES water it's also a laxative. then also use colorless iodine with a qtip paint top and bottom of her foot every other day till healed. has to be the colorless it works faster than the reg.

Penicillin injections may help that you can get at TSC.. I'd treat asap to keep it from spreading must be some kind of bumble foot. and pus in a duck is hard cheesey stuff not liquid like in other animals. also soak her foot in warm Epsom salt water a couple times a day 1 cup to 1 gal of warm water [don't let her drink the ES water it's also a laxative. then also use colorless iodine with a qtip paint top and bottom of her foot every other day till healed. has to be the colorless it works faster than the reg.
Thanks. We will have to get some penicillin tomorrow after we get home from work. Question: how do you give a duck a shot of penicillin and where? I'm familiar with injecting goats, but not ducks.

Thanks. We will have to get some penicillin tomorrow after we get home from work. Question: how do you give a duck a shot of penicillin and where? I'm familiar with injecting goats, but not ducks.
I'd inject right into the knot if you've done goats other than it being a duck should be no difference. just as when giving any injection watch for reaction. Hope you see improvement quickly.

You can give her an oral antibiotic but it won't work as fast. up to you. Penicillin powder directions... 1/2 to 1 tea per gallon of water for 8-10 days.

I'd inject right into the knot if you've done goats other than it being a duck should be no difference. just as when giving any injection watch for reaction. Hope you see improvement quickly.

You can give her an oral antibiotic but it won't work as fast. up to you. Penicillin powder directions... 1/2 to 1 tea per gallon of water for 8-10 days.

We are going to do the injections because then, we will be sure that she got the full dosage. How many injections do you give? Should one clear it up or is this something we would also need to continue for 8-10 days?

We are going to do the injections because then, we will be sure that she got the full dosage. How many injections do you give? Should one clear it up or is this something we would also need to continue for 8-10 days?
just found this.. penicillin G (procaine), the procaine in this injectable preparation used in small and large animals is very toxic in avian species and should not be used if safer antibiotics are available to treat the condition

as far as how many you might want to PM casportpony she is very knowledgeable about meds and treating injuries and illnesses I really don't know if it's the same or not.

just found this.. penicillin G (procaine), the procaine in this injectable preparation used in small and large animals is very toxic in avian species and should not be used if safer antibiotics are available to treat the condition

as far as how many you might want to PM casportpony she is very knowledgeable about meds and treating injuries and illnesses I really don't know if it's the same or not.

Oh. Thank you so much for letting me know this. My husband and I were just at TSC and after I saw this, we ended up just getting some Duramycin-10. Waiting to hear back from casportpony now to see if this is the best option and if we need to cut into the knot.

Oh. Thank you so much for letting me know this. My husband and I were just at TSC and after I saw this, we ended up just getting some Duramycin-10. Waiting to hear back from casportpony now to see if this is the best option and if we need to cut into the knot.
She is a good one for info on treating various illnesses and problems Has she already been in touch with you?

Back
Top Bottom