Know Any Good Hatcheries For Rare Chickens?

Lilorp14

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2014
VA
So my whole flock got wiped out on Wednesday, and I've been thinking that for my new flock I want to try some rare breeds. Unfortunately, I've looked on multiple hatchery sites and all seem to just have the run of the mill chicks. These are the breeds I'm looking for.

Black Copper Marans
Blue Orpingtons
Jubilee Orpingtons
Blue Cochins
Easter Eggers (Not that rare but still)
Buff Brahmas
Salmon Faverolles
Tolbunt Polish
Blue Barnevelder
Silver Pencil Laced Plymouth Rocks

Also, I'm looking for a breed of brown egg laying chickens with really sweet (Possibly protective) Roosters. I was thinking Orpingtons or Jersey Giant roos, but I'm afraid the JG will crush the hens :p. Any docile rooster recommendations?

P.S. I need chicks that are 1-2 days old.

Thanks!

Check out Cackle's Surprise box. It's awesome. For $76.95, you get at least 50 chicks. I got one this spring with a bunch of Dominiques, Black Ameraucana, Lavender Ameraucana, Wheaten Marans, Cuckoo Marans, Black Copper Marans, Australorps, Partridge Rocks, Buckeyes, red sexlinks, White Jersey Giants, and Black sexlinks. The rare breeds that were included were Egyptian Fayoumi, White Yokohama, Appenzeller Spitzhauben, and bantam Wheaten Cubalaya. Quite a well rounded assortment. And so far, only 6 cockerels.

I too recommend Cackle hatchery. I live near there, healthy place, good variety, decent prices. I've had no issues with the sexes being wrong. For docile roosters I recommend Brahmas. They come in 3 colors and in my experience they are the sweetest roosters. Big but not as big as a JG.

Another reco for Cackle....I went to Cackle and got 5 Appenzeller Spitzhaubens, my new favorite breed. Today I saw them featured on P. Allen Smith's Garden Home program, and the breeder said, 'I have never had an aggressive rooster.' (but they are white egg layers.) They grow to be medium sized chickens, known for being intelligent and friendly. I just love them! In this pic mine are 2 mo old.
8 wk (3 of 1).jpg

Another reco for Cackle....I went to Cackle and got 5 Appenzeller Spitzhaubens, my new favorite breed. Today I saw them featured on P. Allen Smith's Garden Home program, and the breeder said, 'I have never had an aggressive rooster.' (but they are white egg layers.) They grow to be medium sized chickens, known for being intelligent and friendly. I just love them! In this pic mine are 2 mo old.
View attachment 1339199
I got one Silver and two Gold. I'm loving them so far.

Is there more than one Cackle Hatchery? Idk what I'm doing wrong but I don't see much variety at all in the one I'm looking at.

Back
Top Bottom