Knuckling Over - Puppy. Advice???

I knew of two puppies with that condition. Happened around 8 weeks of age and owners were told it was common in the type of breed and many medium - large breed pups. I think your pup might have something like that. Look up Hyperflexion deformity in puppies. A friend of mine found a Great Dane breeder online who has a treatment system for this and he used her product with great results. There is also a website showing photos of this condition but I forgot where we found it when Duke had the problem. If it is hyperflexion deformity I understand you don't want to give extra vitamins.

http://www.infovets.com/free/canine/default.asp?page=F/F610.htm

Thanks everyone, Heading out to town in just a hour and will get what I can find!

Wormer -

Puppy Food -

Puppy Vitimins -

Yogurt -

Should I keep his feet wrapped in cast wrapping/Gouse? (sp?)

He is adorable!

Coat is dull looking, could be the lighting but I'm guessing he's definitely missing some nutrients in his diet. I'd get what's on your list and I'd get some raw chicken or beef liver for him for a treat. (don't give him more than just a few nibbles at first) It very nutrient dense, so it's a great addition to his food.

Good luck with him.

Last edited:
Unwrap his legs, casting growing puppy legs can cause more problems than it solves. Especially since you're not even sure what is wrong. If he's knuckling a lot, keep him on soft flooring with good footing.

Get him a good puppy food, if you can buy it at the grocery store its probably crap. He needs a large breed puppy food.
If money is tight, Iams puppy food, nutro large breed or eukanuba are okay foods. Give him some vitamins at first maybe, but don't continue them. You actually don't want him to grow too fast. And definitely get the dewormer, make sure it covers the worms you are seeing. He could be vitamin deficient because of the worms.

He really should be evaluated by a vet. Sometimes these things are permanent if not addressed right away.

Forgot to update this thread! He's going great now, No more worms and 4 days of cast and lil more then a week of Yogurt and new dog food you cant even tell he ever had it

Forgot to update this thread! He's going great now, No more worms and 4 days of cast and lil more then a week of Yogurt and new dog food you cant even tell he ever had it
hi i have a 9 weeks pitbull puppy that is doing the same thing both of his front legs are knuckling and i don't have a clue what to do i took the pup to the vet and he told me to give him a different food we was feeding taste of the wild puppy and we switched to pedigree puppy and about a week after switching it started. the doctor also told me to give him calcium pills and he should get better. I also was already giving the puppies calcium pills and it still happened can some one please help me thanks also the food there on now is diamond large breed puppy.

Back
Top Bottom