KO SHAMO. The magnificent, intelligent, friendly true bantams' thread.

How do the Ko Shamo males get along?  Are they able to co-habitate? Or are they like the larger other types of Shamo and must be kept separate?  

Hello BGMatt,

Yes! you are correct, they must be housed in separate coops/ cages. They are fine with each other as young chicks. I had to segregate my stags at the age of 3 1/2 mos. old, and can not allow them to have access to each other, for, the fights would be fatal. The pullets get along well with their flock mate hens, however they are aggressive towards the females from other flocks. Stags are very attentive and gentle with their hens.

Both sexes are very tame, docile and delightful with their owners. Their intelligence is remarkable..

Lual

Thank you for sharing.  Wonderful pics.  Lovely little birds.  I will have to get some once I have a bantam area set up.  Please keep us updated.:love

Hello Poullarde,

Thank you for your kind words! When your bantam area is ready, and have some of these delightful tiny birds with big personality, they will add endless joy into your life. My favorite part of each day are the times I spend with my little birds..

Lual

Hello BGMatt,

Yes! you are correct, they must be housed in separate coops/ cages. They are fine with each other as young chicks. I had to segregate my stags at the age of 3 1/2 mos. old, and can not allow them to have access to each other, for, the fights would be fatal. The pullets get along well with their flock mate hens, however they are aggressive towards the females from other flocks. Stags are very attentive and gentle with their hens.

Both sexes are very tame, docile and delightful with their owners. Their intelligence is remarkable..

Lual

Thought that might be the case. I like the spirit and have always been drawn to the look of the orientals, but have yet to build a set up where I can do them justice with separating males, especially starting so young. Might be easier with something the size of the Ko Shamo though. They really do seem like an amazing little breed.

Thought that might be the case.  I like the spirit and have always been drawn to the look of the orientals, but have yet to build a set up where I can do them justice with separating males, especially starting so young.  Might be easier with something the size of the Ko Shamo though.  They really do seem like an amazing little breed.

Short while ago I viewed the photos of your OEGB., they are simply gorgeous!!

Like you, I too am quite taken by the appearance and the temperament of the Oriental Game birds. I am looking forward to having couple of full size Shamo as well. But, have the same dilemma of having a secure set up to keep them in. Yes! It is much easier to make room for the tiny KOs : )

Ko Shamo are tiny which made it possible for me to have them. At this point, they are housed in indoor cages during the night, and spend big part of the day outside. I use 4 feet tall X-pens to keep them confined, also protect from the LF. Since they have the courage of a lion, and completely unaware of how little they are, have to make sure that they are safe. I don't think the stags would hesitate to stand up to the largest roosters, and if fight brakes out, would not back down.

I love X-pens, which come in handy with my dogs as well as the birds, and they are very sturdy. Well, most likely they would not work with flighty birds; but, makes life easy with my Orps,, NH., RIR, and Ko Shamo, where all are poor fliers.

Yes, they are truly amazing beings with awesome character, and idiosyncrasies : )

Lual

The cages are 3 x 8 and 4 x.4 feet. These are temporary housing.
The last photo was taken couple of weeks before they had to be separated. Next spring they will be moved into their own tractor coops. Since they are still quite young, we decided to have them spend the winter inside our home, and go outside during the day, weather permitting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom