Kosher Kings

We are originally from NJ which was Purdue country (8 pound roasting chickens) which would give us large hindquarters. Presently on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington and the largest commercial bird doesn't exceed 5 pounds. We would like LARGE tender birds.

At 9 weeks my FR's were an avg of 5.6 pounds of live weight. We bagged 3 of our smaller birds whole (average of about 3.5 pounds/bird dressed out), but the others we sectioned up into breasts, legs/thighs, and wings. Out of 20 birds we got a total of about 52 pounds of chicken not counting the backs we saved to make broth. The cost per pound was a teensy bit over $2/pound. We had a straight run of FR's, but we requested all males from Noll's.

We received 1 extra FR. We lost one to a raccoon, but that was our only loss. Noll's sent us 2 extras.

They are pretty aggressive to one another! And they are more aggressive with feed than the FR's were. I have to wave them off the feeders, or they all mob my hand and bite me when I pick up the feeders to refill/clean off the shavings! Of course, they are probably hungrier than the FR's because they keep scratching shavings into the feeders. And that's with the feeders being set on a 18" square board.

I do have a couple of solid bottom rabbit feeders that are in there, so they don't scratch shavings into them. I will probably get more of those next time I have meaties. They're easier to fill up, and don't get shavings all in them.

I called MT-DI twice and left a message regarding their meat birds, but I never got a returned phone call. So I moved on to Noll's.

After these guys I may try the red meat maker as well.

I keep getting more and more people interested in going in to do meat chickens. The problem is I do all the work up to processing day, and they show up on processing day to help process and take their chickens home. I don't mind helping with friends and family's birds, but it does get very tiring tending to the chickens on a daily basis. How can we make this a more equitable split when the chickens are at my house and not theirs?

Quote:
When you say "going in"...what is your current definition of the split there? Just 50/50 or being fair on actual costs but no time and labor included? I agree, that really isn't fair....

when we split stuff with friends and family...they keep in mind that "tipping is NOT a city in China!" I guess because so many friends are from the restaurant business, as was I...and everyone KNOWS I did that work for years....well...they tip me accordingly when we are splitting the bill for the work I put in. Some of our 'partners in crime' won't process - they ONLY want the meat, nothing to do with it...cool with me...they "tip" me better....those that do come for processing day tend to tip a little less...I'm fine with that too...as they put in more work...

So, I guess what I'm saying is...you could split it more 60/40 or even 70/30 if you wanted to (in your favor of course) and just tell them flat out it's a cost increase based on work put in or even figure out a charge somehow you would be happy with...some might get their feelings hurt...I don't know...we all just respect the power of the tip around here and it's always been customary that our friends/family bump me extra for the extra effort involved
smile.png
I SWEAR I only ASK for what their portion of the actual costs are...they all just kinda bump it on their own, and just like when I was a server, sometimes people tip better than others...but they all know I'm not charging for time and effort too...I show everyone on paper what i spent and what they owe...and they just keep me covered ya know? So, if they aren't already offering up extra to you...I'd say be prepared for some to be hurt over an extra charge...people can be weird about that, especially when they are related to you, ya know?

But I do feel it would be fair of you to ask for a little extra, unless of course THEY want to get up early, and drive all the way to your place, and feed and such...but I don't see that happening
smile.png

I ordered 15 kosher kings from clearview hatchery in Pa. and just had them processed last saturday. At 13 weeks they averaged out at a dressed weight of over 7 lbs. We roasted one on sunday in a beer can chicken thing, and it was delicious!

Week 5 update: I weighed the chicks today. I'm running a little behind on my weigh in because we went out of town this weekend, and it rained here earlier this week (Hallelujah!).

Here's the breakdown: Avg wt 26.57, Hi - 30.45, Lo - 21.15. At 5 weeks my FR's weighed an averaged 35.72 ounces, so the KK's are still trailing them. But I have fed about 75 pounds less feed to the KK's than I had to the FR's at this time.

I have to say these chicks are *much* more active than the FR's. Weighing them takes longer, because they are not as docile. I had to hold several of them upside down for a few minutes so they would be calm enough I could weigh them.

No updated pics. Will try to get some later this week.

Well the activity and the lesser amount of feed is probably the differance. But 75lbs less feed is a big savings. That would be about 20.00 dollars right there. I have done both and like the KK a little better do to the fact I found them more hardy. They may take a week or so longer but the savings in feed, cost of the birds, and taste are well worth it. I also really like the Rosambro's from MT-DI they have a huge breast on them and are mostly all white. They are very docile birds too.

Lets see some photos!!
lol.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom