Kraienkoeppe Thread!

Pics
I would go the route of a Shamo cock to a Kraienkoppe hen. Since the hens carry the breed trait more from what I have read. I would just use the hens from these and breed them back to your Kraienkoppes. One of my cockerels matured fast the other one slow. I like the stance of the one that matured slower better. He is looking much better now. His legs are at least 2 to 3 inches longer than the one that matured fast. I like the oriental look myself.
Mark
That is an option, but my hens are small. The only Shamo cock I have now is 9lb 6oz last time I weighed and is a little under 3' tall; I worry about size difference with him breeding over the little hens. On the traits, I have found grading AG over Shamo tend to make the birds take after the parent of the opposite sex. I crossed a Wheaten Shamo cock over a silver wheaten AG hen (mind you, this Shamo cock was small, only around 7 3/4 pounds and the hen was also larger than I think the Kraienköppe will be), all stags came golden duckwing/spangled golden duckwing and looked more similarly to a AG except the tail was held lower and the wattles were smaller. The hens looked almost like what some people call "Asils", they showed a lot of the Oriental characteristics with very few AG characteristics. They also only came Wheaten/Spangled, I never got any other colored pullet. Weight wise on that cross was not any different than typical of the AG I think, but the cock was only in the 7 pound range and that grey blood was known for being in the low 6's at times so that could be why I didn't see much weight fluctuation. I will say though, that cross produced some of the best egg laying games I've ever seen for some reason.

But believe me, I have considered it.. I got to looking at my old Shamo hen the other day and noticing her comb doesn't look completely like a pea comb, makes me wonder if it maybe part walnut which can and has been known to happen very rarely.. She's decent size too, or at least throws decent sized birds whilst also being one of the lesser aggressive of the hens though she can usually be pretty nasty herself at times. If I still have her at the time of breeding season, I may try to put the birds together and see how they do. But I know right now the little Kraienköppe stand no chance, the free rangers have tried when I let her out one day to no success.

On Kraienköppe, I have them all a little different- fast maturing fowl with short stumpy legs and birds that are real tall; on the slow maturing birds I've also got both types but the funny thing is they are all about 3-4 pounds now weight wise even though you'd believe some of them had to be at least 5 or so due to the way they look. I've picked them up and they appear to be in good shape, they just aren't very meaty yet I suppose. Once they completely finish growing maybe they will weigh a lot, not sure. I'm just ready for breeding season.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Daniel,
The walnut comb of the Kraienkoppe as you know will throw a pea comb since it was used in the making of the breed. If you cross a pea comb with a walnut comb you are going to get more walnut combs than pea combs from that crossing. You can always just use the walnut combed birds for breeding. One of my BBR Kraienkoppe cockerels had a pea comb.
Mark

Daniel,
The walnut comb of the Kraienkoppe as you know will throw a pea comb since it was used in the making of the breed. If you cross a pea comb with a walnut comb you are going to get more walnut combs than pea combs from that crossing. You can always just use the walnut combed birds for breeding. One of my BBR Kraienkoppe cockerels had a pea comb.
Mark
Yeah, Mcrooke, you've just about talked me into it.. I am considering using the old Shamo hen as a breeding project too.. I think it will be the better cross with less conflicting things personally just from observing the birds. I realize though I will have to select for walnut combed individuals afterwards, but it may be something to play with.

If so, assuming the old hen isn't too rough with the young Kraienköppe cockerels next year, that would mean that I'd probably be breeding the Kraienköppe at least.. I'd guess anywhere from 9-13 different ways, maybe 14.. Since I seem to have around 4-6 hens of Kraienköppe and about two cockerels. I want to try and get a good many "pure" birds to work with while also working with cross projects like the Malay and Shamo. I noticed I have another cockerel that appears to be good type, but I am heavily debating on him as he is real flighty if I recall correctly and that is a trait that will be passed on/is contrary to true Kraienköppe nature so probably not as I don't see much reason to breed inferior birds; the best to the best I suppose.

God bless,
Daniel.

I hatched some chicks from a Silver Kraienkoppe cockerel x Silver Phoenix hen. From this crossing I expected all cushion combs because the cushion comb is supposed to be dominant. I would say 75% of them have straight combs like the phoenix. The only way I can think of is that Ideal crossed something into their Silver Kraienkoppe that had straight combs. I thought a cushion comb was dominant over the straight comb unless you crossed the second generation or later with another straight combed bird. The chicks are 4 weeks old now. All but one of the cockerels have straight combs. The pullets mostly have the cushion combs. Just a couple of them have a straight comb. It is almost a sex-link cross, males have straight combs and females cushion combs.
Mark

most EEs ive seen have cheeks of some sort.... even my crosses have them....
Looks like she does have a mini-beard going, I have seen some small beards on the Kraienkoeppe when they are young but I don't remember them being quite that thick and they usually lose them as they age. Same thing tends to happen with the Shamo's, feathers on the face as young birds (though maybe not enough to call a beard) and as they age they tend to lose them and come clean faced.

God bless,
Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom