Kraienkoeppe Thread!

Mcrooke, that is a 3/4 Morgan Whitehackle 1/4th Shelton Roundhead cock. I just call them "Whitehackles" now since I've added the Shelton blood, I bred it back to 7/8th Whitehackle this previous year and got a few nice birds, but I think if I bred them a little more to the Whitehackle side (15/16th) they'd probably carry too much Whitehackle blood for my taste (which isn't terrible, the Whitehackles are good fowl I just prefer the Roundhead blood in them).

This year I am breeding the 7/8th pullets back to their father (3/4th), the offspring will still be heavy in Whitehackle blood but going back to their father they will have more Roundhead in them than taking the stags back over the pure Whitehackle hen I have and probably make for better birds in my opinion
smile.png

I have Spangled hatch as well (though I plan to sell actually), but they are darker colored fowl. BBred with milder spangling and green legs. Trying to cut back on breeds/strains, planning to keep only my Arkansas Travelers, Whitehackle, Kraienkoeppe, and maybe Shamo.

God bless,
Daniel.

Right now I have silver and bbr krainkoppe, dark cornish, silver phoenix, LF and bantam sumatras. I am getting some bantam blue modern games in a couple of weeks. I like gamefowl breeds. I am going to try and find some cubalaya and some malays to add to my birds after I build some new pens.

Photos of three of the little ones, they all typically look the same with small differences in color/type/feather development.

First the dark one, that I am unsure truthfully of what it is. At times I lean towards female, other times I lean towards a male. Maybe one of you will know? Either way, probably will end up being culled especially if a male, being pea comb I have no use to breed it and wouldn't encourage anyone else to.

A young pullet, not typically as upright as in this photo, but they all typically stand with a proud stance to them.

And a young a cockerel.

God bless,
Daniel.

Update on the odd, dark bird from Ideal. I think Ideal has obviously added something different, this bird has legs longer than just about any bird in the pen I think, even though there are varying degrees of leg lengths.

First photo, I'm holding her up a little higher than typical stance, even then still not completely showing her leg length:

M
ore natural stance:

God bless,
Daniel.

Daniel, I read on a different forum that said Ideal crossed some of their Malay into the Kraienkoppe they have. My BBR cockerels have longer legs than my silvers do. I believe it was on the UltimateFowl forum. My legs on my BBR are the same size as my dark cornish. The legs would account if the Malay was crossed into them.

Daniel, I read on a different forum that said Ideal crossed some of their Malay into the Kraienkoppe they have. My BBR cockerels have longer legs than my silvers do. I believe it was on the UltimateFowl forum. My legs on my BBR are the same size as my dark cornish. The legs would account if the Malay was crossed into them.

Yeah, I was thinking they may have crossed in either the Malay blood, or perhaps their Dark Shamo stock due to leg lengths. I did hear something similar, but it wasn't a for sure thing, just something someone "thought" from what I heard.

If it is Oriental blood still not real evident (other than things that should be), this bird is the only one that is odd truthfully. The others seem to be fairly well uniformed. I have birds that have rather short legs, some medium length, some medium-high and then we have this little pullet. Are your little cockerels from Ideal playful so to speak as well? I have been moving them out into their own pens now separating them by twos and threes and sat outside reading a book and watching them for a large percentage of the day.

I noticed that the cockerels will spar just about any time one of them jumps down off of their roost, other times they just do it for no reason it seems. No harm done so I'm not too worried about it, I was just a little surprised that they do it as often as they do as I always heard the hens were the ones who were aggressive and the cocks got along fairly well. I did see one pullet spar with a cockerel, but not as often as the cockerels will with each other.

God bless,
Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom