Kraienkoeppe Thread!

Pics
love the looks of your roos Daniel! thinkin i may get a set this summer... but in silvers... if i do ill post pics!
Cool, I'm pretty sure you'll love the Kraienköppe. Just remember to buy a lot because most of the birds will be culls
wink.png
. I thought of trying the Silvers, but for now think I will stick to the BBred's and probably some whites if/when they show up. Maybe later once I get everything worked out with the whites/reds I will be able to branch out more assuming I have enough space.

God bless,
Daniel.

Hi from England
I have just been reading through this thread and there are some very nice birds here.
Kraienkoppes/twentse are one of the breeds I keep so I thought I would share a few pics with you of some of my large foul Silvers
This is my main breeding team

Some of last seasons chicks

a few close ups

I have loads of pics of my large foul & bantams and pics of many colours from my trips to overseas shows
Regards
Mark

Awesome. This thread is timely. Ordered some BB Kroppes from Sand Hill for a May delivery. To be honest, I wanted Old English Game, but finding a source for them was a bit of a problem, then I read what little info is out there on Kroppes and liked what I saw, especially that they were not as aggressive as OEG, and were hawk smart. Does anyone have an opinion on the Sand Hill line? I want broody hens, Sand Hill told me that they would be good broodies. Harvey Ussery, lists them as a broody breed. What concerns me is, supposedly the European breed is non-broody, but the American birds go broody. What has been your experience! Today is a very busy day and I can't read through the thread right now, but look forward to future correspondence. Yeah!!!!

Hi from England
I have just been reading through this thread and there are some very nice birds here.
Kraienkoppes/twentse are one of the breeds I keep so I thought I would share a few pics with you of some of my large foul Silvers
This is my main breeding team

Some of last seasons chicks

a few close ups

I have loads of pics of my large foul & bantams and pics of many colours from my trips to overseas shows
Regards
Mark

what do your birds weigh?!
they look bigger than the ones we have here!

Hi
I am not one for weighing my birds, but they are a little over the British Standard weights which are:
L/f Male 2.5kg-2.95kg
L/F female 1.8kg-2.5kg
Bantam Male 850gms ( mine are around 100gms+ )
Bantam female 740gms ( Mine are around 800-850gms+)
As for broodiness as mentioned in last post the L/F are renowned for not going broody, we have only had 1 hen half attempt sitting in last couple of seasons (bantams do go broody)

L/f Hen & Bantam Hen (top of socket is 13" high)

Deceptive picture, they really are a small bantam, the 2 hens just won best L/F rare breed & best Bantam rare breed at one of our championship shows 3 weeks ago, the Bantam cock in my avatar won best rare breed Bantam & reserve show champion, missed out on top spot because the championship judge thought he was a little large for a Bantam

Awesome. This thread is timely. Ordered some BB Kroppes from Sand Hill for a May delivery. To be honest, I wanted Old English Game, but finding a source for them was a bit of a problem, then I read what little info is out there on Kroppes and liked what I saw, especially that they were not as aggressive as OEG, and were hawk smart. Does anyone have an opinion on the Sand Hill line? I want broody hens, Sand Hill told me that they would be good broodies. Harvey Ussery, lists them as a broody breed. What concerns me is, supposedly the European breed is non-broody, but the American birds go broody. What has been your experience! Today is a very busy day and I can't read through the thread right now, but look forward to future correspondence. Yeah!!!!
Every source I have heard regarding the American Kraienkoeppe is that they do go broody regularly, much like a game hen if you have experience with them. In Europe I have heard that most do not go broody, this is backed up by our new English friend (Welcome to the thread!). But I have resources that I believe mention at one point that some even in Europe do go broody, it's just not the norm. I also have sources to back up a comment some people have made that originally there were more colors than the silver and BBred, which I had figured anyway since they originally came from gamefowl which are always diverse in color varieties (but I still like to have sources to link to).

For a long time I questioned if I would breed for broody hens or not, as I like to preserve breeds according to the "homeland" and that standard calls for non-broodiness at least the Netherlands one does I'd have to check again for German. But, hovabators are a waste of money and I don't have the extra cash for the Sportsmans/I like broody hens so I figure I wouldn't worry about it. Originally the breed would have been broody anyway given its heritage. Sandhill's line is supposed to be pretty good but I'm not sure how much better they are than say, Ideals.

They are very smart birds, very attentive and curious. I've got two-three hens laying now so I've been setting them up in pairs now, maybe by next month or so I'll have some chicks on the ground. If you can get some that are more on the gentle side and not really flighty as some are (and will probably be the majority) I think you will love 'em. They've replaced every other breed I owned for me.

God bless,
Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom