Kune kune boar hair loss on back

Yogi Hollow Farm

Chirping
Sep 20, 2020
Hello, we have a ginger black Kune Kune Boar that is almost 5 months old. He came to us from a great farm breeder. He lost the hair on his back and had dry skin. We have since coated him with coconut oil a few times and the hair is growing back albeit slowly. No signs of mites or mange. No signs of red skin. No signs of infection on the skin. Is this common? I have read online and have seen they sometimes molt for lack of a better name and I want to be sure he is ok and it will grow back. We feed him a complete high quality grain and alfalfa hay. I included a pic. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• A7B39F8C-C2E8-4F4A-B5F2-A7CA20605AAD.jpeg
    A7B39F8C-C2E8-4F4A-B5F2-A7CA20605AAD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 132
Hi! He's a handsome fellow. 🙂 It's not unusual to see some occasional hair loss in the breed, especially in warmer weather - one of my boars has shed some of his coat (probably rubbed it off) and one of my sows completely blew her coat last year. 😮 It was something to see - a bald pig! Her coat regrew thick and shiny, though.

While hair loss can be normal, there are other possible causes, like zinc deficiency. I think supplementing forage with a formulated feed is fairly common, and it helps ensure nutritional balance. This discussion may also be of interest.

Best wishes!

Thank you for your response. I greatly appreciate it. I have read about zinc contributing to hair loss. What I don’t know is how much zinc is needed and is too much zinc a bad thing? I have attached the nutrition label from the feed I am giving all my pigs.

Attachments

• 9C734250-7828-4F43-A406-1CF55CC8839B.jpeg
    9C734250-7828-4F43-A406-1CF55CC8839B.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 75
Thank you for your response. I greatly appreciate it. I have read about zinc contributing to hair loss. What I don’t know is how much zinc is needed and is too much zinc a bad thing? I have attached the nutrition label from the feed I am giving all my pigs.
I spoke to a breeder who advised me I am giving sufficient zinc and advised not to worry about his hair loss. She stated it seems he just blew his coat as they do. Read the Merck vet manual and 100 of zinc in feed is appropriate and my feed is over that.

Back
Top Bottom