LabMomma’s Flock

Well, my broody hen, Juniper, has hatched out 10 chicks and an 11th is in the middle of hatching. One of the 10 that have already hatched was dead this morning, it looks like it had just hatched and then died. I’m wondering if it got crushed, poor thing. I buried it by our firewood racks.
C59FA952-29D9-4361-A7A8-595E3CD36C57.jpeg
357F5CAB-0830-41FE-8F11-D4E6B7F358BD.jpeg
Here are a couple pics of mama and the chicks.
Also, one of my cockerels is having leg issues, so I will have to treat that today as well. I’m also going to see about separating him from his siblings until his leg heals. He gets picked on by the other two cockerels. I also need to try and get the 3 cockerels and 3 pullets listed for selling hopefully sometime today.
So I got a busy day ahead of me, but that’s part of having chickens! :D

Not much to update about the flock recently. About a week ago I sold the 9 chicks that my hen, Juniper, hatched out and raised. I also sold 3 pullets and 3 cockerels that Juniper hatched out back in April. The 8 chicks that I have from Meyer hatchery should be able to go outside in about a week. Other than that, nothing to report😁

Well, I know I haven’t updated in a while, but there hasn’t been much to update. Earlier this week I integrated the chickens from Meyer Hatchery in with the rest of the flock. It went very well. My White Leghorn, Piper, laid her very first egg last week, and has given us five more eggs since then. Yesterday, my neighbor gave me his Silver Laced Wyandotte. We call her Lacey. He gave Lacey to us because she gets very bullied by his chickens and ducks, so he though she might do better in my flock. My flock is already fairly used to her, because before she was given to me, she would visit my chickens very often. I integrated her fully into the flock yesterday and it went fairly well. She is a little scared of other chickens, because her old flock bullied her so much. Most of my chickens are very easy to get along with though, so I’m hoping she’ll learn that not all chickens are bullies. Here’s a pic of her
925DE3FA-7143-4711-A271-0F803A46580E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom