Labored breathing and yellow nitrates

Calcium doesn't need to be strictly measured as it's just a mineral that she uses all the time. A little more or less is not going to be critical. Too much is preferable to too little, though.

Calcium doesn't need to be strictly measured as it's just a mineral that she uses all the time. A little more or less is not going to be critical. Too much is preferable to too little, though.
She has eaten more this morning than than she did all day yesterday. She is also more active though her breathing is still labored after walking around and eating. She even tried to get out to me so I lifted her on my lap for a few. She is back to resting. I called the vet office and the one who helps with my chickens is off today. I'm going to give her a calcium tab just to be sure that is not an egg.

Not sure if I should start a new post or if you both are willing to help with this.

I am still building up my chicken med box and currently have:
Tylosin powder
Denagard
Safeguard
Corrid
Calcium
B-Complex
Vitamin E
Coconut oil
Rehydration powder
Molasses
Epson salt
Syringes
Feeding tudes

I'll attach a picture of what meds I have in my cart at Jedds. Please advise if there is more I should add, or change the ones I do, before ordering.
Thank you!

And she is eating more. When I felt her abdomen again she squatted and some light green pudding like poo came out. I tried again but nothing else. I gave her the calcium and she is resting and appears to be comfortable. Her poo from overnight was solid and back to a dark green (had blueberries yesterday) with a small cap of light yellow urates. I'm considering a syringe of water might be good. While I know it is only a matter of time, as long as she is not in obvious distress and being social with me I am going to spend some time loving on her. I might just keep her inside until that time comes. She is lowest in pecking order, calls for and stays with me when I go outside and seems much more relaxed inside. Not sure hubs will be on board, but the stress of losing my girls one by one is taking its toll, and he knows that.

Thanks! Screenshot_20220916-094052.png

Oh! I forgot to ask for you opinions on this.

I've closed my flock and had decided to not add anymore until they have passed. But after having Taco decline so quickly it's really getting to me. I've checked with the two farms I've sent chickens to and all of them, and their flocks are healthy so I am thinking I can actually take care of chickens properly. I had the thought of getting a chick, that will be vaccinated, if another healthy and high up in pecking order, hen goes broody. Is that ridiculous that I want one that I can get attached to and has a "better" chance at not dying? Idk, maybe it's wrong and selfish to do to a chick just for my emotional well being.

What would you all do?

I would get three or four chicks. They are always much happier when they have more than one friend to go through life with. Chicks bond for life.

You are not alone in using this as a comforting strategy when losing a favorite chicken. I always go buy a few new chicks when I lose a chicken. It works well for me, sort of balancing the grief with joy. Better than drinking.

I had thought pairs are best but wasn't sure if I am setting up for more to just get sick and die. If I was to get 2-3 then I can raise them together in the coop, separate from the girls but still able to see and smell, before it gets too cold? And where is a reputable place to get good chicks that are vaccinated? It would be nice to hand raise them because I've noticed my son, who adores his chickens, has shut down a little after losing his favorite, then his second favorite, and now Taco who he also really likes. If he could be part of raising the new chicks it might be healing for him too.

Side note: He had to make an "about me" poster for outside his classroom. When I asked if he wanted to look through pics of his brother and sister he said he just wanted his chickens. Huh? His poster says "Benjamin loves chickens!" and is filled with pictures of his chickens! 😂😂 It breaks my heart to see him outwardly avoiding getting attached at this point. He knows we cannot let them suffer and has accepted it. But not without emotional stress.

This is a tough lesson for adults, let alone small children. The impermanence of life, all life, his own included, is something we all need to come to terms with.

It doesn't need to be morbid or sad. Life is born and it dies, but the dead are connected to the living through their energy and matter which is recycled in the food chain. Yes, even humans return to the great cycle of life.

When we bury a dead being, the energy is released in decomposition and immediately life forms begin utilizing that energy, and it's ultimately converted into new life forms. I console myself with this concept when I lose a chicken. She may be dead, but her energy will live on in other life forms.

This is a tough lesson for adults, let alone small children. The impermanence of life, all life, his own included, is something we all need to come to terms with.

It doesn't need to be morbid or sad. Life is born and it dies, but the dead are connected to the living through their energy and matter which is recycled in the food chain. Yes, even humans return to the great cycle of life.

When we bury a dead being, the energy is released in decomposition and immediately life forms begin utilizing that energy, and it's ultimately converted into new life forms. I console myself with this concept when I lose a chicken. She may be dead, but her energy will live on in other life forms.
Yep, that is exactly how we think of it. We laugh about passed loved ones, human and pets, watching us wondering what they are thinking.
We are very sad to loose them, but are consoled in the fact they are now with us always, no matter where we are 💜

Amazingly, Taco is hanging in there. I've worked on getting her to drink more water with the denagard by syringing it in front of her and she drinks it like a fountain. I was too nervous to restrain. Today she is eating well and was even waiting at the cage door for me when I got home. Her breathing is much less labored. She won't recover enough to go back outside with the flock. But she will be an inside chicken for as long as she is eating/drinking on her own and happy to see me.

Looked online for some chicks and the shipping was $55! I've never had chicks shipped, is this normal?

Yes, they need to ship Express so the chicks spend as little time in transit as possible. it's wise to choose a source where the shipping is minimal, for example, MyPetChicken ships from their hatchery in Ohio and it's not as far from you as it is for me in Colorado. It takes two days for a chick box to reach me, but may only take one day for you, so that would be a good choice. There may be closer ones. The shipping will still be expensive, though. Ask them how many days it will take.

That's hugely good news Taco is improving! That's the direction we want to see!

I had thought pairs are best but wasn't sure if I am setting up for more to just get sick and die. If I was to get 2-3 then I can raise them together in the coop, separate from the girls but still able to see and smell, before it gets too cold? And where is a reputable place to get good chicks that are vaccinated? It would be nice to hand raise them because I've noticed my son, who adores his chickens, has shut down a little after losing his favorite, then his second favorite, and now Taco who he also really likes. If he could be part of raising the new chicks it might be healing for him too.

Side note: He had to make an "about me" poster for outside his classroom. When I asked if he wanted to look through pics of his brother and sister he said he just wanted his chickens. Huh? His poster says "Benjamin loves chickens!" and is filled with pictures of his chickens! 😂😂 It breaks my heart to see him outwardly avoiding getting attached at this point. He knows we cannot let them suffer and has accepted it. But not without emotional stress.
His coping follows your coping as well. I too have thought i cant deal with the stress of sick chickens and everything that comes along with it, but I decided, i will always try my best, and always invite chickens into my life to try their best. I still do not know what I will do when the day comes to cull a chicken. Its not a topic i see discussed here. In my opinion, with the amount of first time chicken owners, more discussion about how to humanly deal with a dying chicken should be had. I have zero idea what i would do. Well, actually, i would call someone with compassion that would hopefully do it. b-hawk, you have been through so much its common to feel how you do. I would be beside myself as well. I am hoping that with experience i'll cope better. My chicken had yellow in her poop for the past 3-4 days with some odd standing around and not laying. She is soft molting tho, so not sure about thats effects. With experience, we will be so better equipped. Like you with your med list! I too am developing my chicken first aid and can only hope my next flock will thrive even more because of everything I've learned. You are a loving person and will get through this. Until then, i am thinking of you and hoping you get some peace soon. My hubby thinks i'm nuts about my chickens and hes kinda right. For a giggle, Look at the shirt he gave me for my birthday today, lol

Attachments

• 4DC81020-3C97-4808-B84E-BD05640E767E.jpeg
    4DC81020-3C97-4808-B84E-BD05640E767E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom