Labored breathing?

Cyneswith

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
Camden, SC
My lavender orpington is panting, her breathing sounds slightly labored, and she didn't eat any cut corn when I gave it out. It's not a hot day, and she had fresh cool water. Looked her over - no injuries, no signs of injury, vent is clean, feathers in great shape. Should I be concerned? What might be wrong? She just started laying this week, and sings the egg song LOUD before laying, but she's not today.

I'm a bit paranoid about her, since the other local lavender orpingtons have all died shortly after the point of lay, just getting listless and dying with no external issues.

Thanks for reaching out for help. First, let's look into her diet. What do you feed her besides cut corn? She may have a nutritional deficiency and we can help advise you to correct it, if that is the case. Also, does she have access to grit?

Please feel her all over. Is her keel (breast) bone sticking out sharply? Is her crop emptying properly overnight? Is her abdomen (fluffy/downy area) bloated with fluid? You already indicated her vent is clean, which is good.

Also, how about parasites? Can you look her over for lice or mites? Mites would be more easier to detect at night in the coop with a flashlight or headlamp. For worms or coccidiosis, it would be best to take a poop sample to a vet for a fecal float test. Is this an option for you?

Your other orpingtons who died shortly after starting to lay... did they have a calcium supplement like oyster shell available at all times?

The more questions you can answer, the better we can help you. Good luck. I know how helpless we can feel when our feathered friends aren't feeling well, but there is a wealth of knowledge on BYC and there is a good chance you will find help here.

They are eating organic layer feed (brand varies) and free-ranging. No mites/lices. Crop felt normal, and I haven't had chickens long enough to know about the breastbone (it is possible it is sticking out.) Weather turned and she stopped panting at least.

I have not had Lavender Orpingtons, but another local had extreme problems with hers (and those she sold.)

Back
Top Bottom