Labored open beaked breathing

Sandiwool

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
I have a Brabanter who was born in Feb 2012 and she was wobbly to begin with but with some. Electrolytes, she improved but always seemed to lag behind our other 3 hens of the same age. Here recently, I've noticed that with minimal stress she begins open beaked breathing and her breathing sounds "tight". Last night, I also observed her laying with her sisters and you could clearly see her chest rising and falling with her breathing where you didn't see that with the others she was laying with. She is eating well, drinking well, playing and grazing (on grass) fine. I am stumped. Because she is acting fine, I want to say no big deal, but when I saw her breathing next to the others last night, it's clear that there is a problem. There is no discharge from her nose, eyes or beak and her breathing just sounds "tight" but no real wheeze. I've only heard her sneeze one day but not regularly. Any input would be helpful since I am new at this and don't want to be missing something important. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to BYC! Sorry you are having such a hard time with one of your pullets. Where did you get your birds from? Do you know whether they were vaccinated for anything? There's no other symptoms that you can see - like gurgling or bubbles in eyes? Only symptom you can see is labored breathing - I don't know - sometimes they do have congenital defects. I hope someone else will see this and can give you more ideas. Good luck with your little one.

The only other thing I've noticed is a constant "squeaky wheel" noise and I mean constant! She tends to have a more moody gut and is more prone to a loose stool after treats or vege's. I'm wondering if she has something structural with her trachea?

still squeaky. Started her on Antibiotics today so we'll see what happens. I read a story today about a Roo who had labored breathing, the owner tried antibiotics, two different types but he died at the Vet's. He ended up having 2 seeds lodged in his trachea along with a crop problem...yikes! I'll keep fingers crossed that the antibiotics will fix her problem. How would you even begin to see down their throats? My lord, their mouths are so small! She's still eating, drinking and interacting well with her sisters so we'll keep hoping all will turn out fine.

Back
Top Bottom