Lacey is back for round two 😔 - Reproductive issues

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Lacey my Cornish bantam hen who recovered from a prolapse about a month ago is back for round two. 😔 I came back from vacation yesterday and found her milling around with her back end covered in feces. The feathers where also parted around her vent, though she wasn’t straining.
I gave a large dose of calcium citrate immediately, soaked and separated her on puppy pads. She ate really well and has food in her crop this morning. She’s passing wet feces, but I haven’t seen any normal poops.

I soaked her this morning and felt for a stuck egg. I went to my second knuckle on my pinky finger and didn’t feel an egg. Her abdomen does seem distended, and from outside I feel a firm mass that could be an egg, but I’m sure feeling externally isn’t very accurate.
Gave calcium again this morning and did a long soak. Towel dry and a heating pad, then put the pad in her crate in the coop.
She’s definitely dopey, but still eating, drinking, and scratching around.

So what are we dealing with this time? I didn’t feel an egg, egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying? I gave her an herbal antibiotic capsule encase that is the issue.

Pics-
9CB2D9D5-EBC0-4A84-9641-8B211C7EFC28.jpeg
F9606165-DA4F-40BF-9E00-EA2955085AFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Compare her abdomen to another chickens abdomen and see if there's a difference. Does she have labored breathing at all? What's the color of her comb? Does her abdomen feel squishy, or more firm?

Compare her abdomen to another chickens abdomen and see if there's a difference. Does she have labored breathing at all? What's the color of her comb? Does her abdomen feel squishy, or more firm?
I did compare, and it is a bit distended. Her entire abdomen isn't firm, like ascites, it feels like there is a mass of some sort, it really dose remind me of the size and shape of an egg. Though she's no accessibly straining, nor did I feel one when I inserted my finger. I'm not sure if I felt far enough though since she is a bantam, I didn't want to go to deep.
her comb is slightly pale.

I think I'm going to switch her coop to layer feed. With round two of reproductive crisis I think I need to. I don't have many birds in there, her a 3 others one being a rooster unfortunately, but I think the risk for her passing of reproductive issues is far riskier than my rooster being affected by layer feed. She is also a Cornish bantam, there for is overweight. Its something I've been working on but I don't have a good way to restrict her food. I don't have any other birds of her breed to separate her with. I do think that is hugely contributing though. Poor Lacey.

I did compare, and it is a bit distended. Her entire abdomen isn't firm, like ascites, it feels like there is a mass of some sort, it really dose remind me of the size and shape of an egg. Though she's no accessibly straining, nor did I feel one when I inserted my finger. I'm not sure if I felt far enough though since she is a bantam, I didn't want to go to deep.
her comb is slightly pale.

I think I'm going to switch her coop to layer feed. With round two of reproductive crisis I think I need to. I don't have many birds in there, her a 3 others one being a rooster unfortunately, but I think the risk for her passing of reproductive issues is far riskier than my rooster being affected by layer feed. She is also a Cornish bantam, there for is overweight. Its something I've been working on but I don't have a good way to restrict her food. I don't have any other birds of her breed to separate her with. I do think that is hugely contributing though. Poor Lacey.
She may be internally laying, do you notice her waddling at all when she walks or runs?

She may be internally laying, do you notice her waddling at all when she walks or runs?
No waddling. Either that, or Egg Yolk Peritonitis is my assumption at this point.
Herbal antibiotic administered along with calcium. Hopefully the heating pad will help her pass it. Poor baby. The last hen I had with internal laying I lost, I do hope I get a win this time.

Last edited:
No waddling. That is my assumption at this point.
Herbal antibiotic administered along with calcium. Hopefully the heating pad will help her pass it. Poor baby. The last hen I had with internal laying I lost, I do hope I get a win this time.
When was the last time you know she laid an egg?
I lost a hen to ascites about a month ago, she was a Leghorn and about 5yo.

When was the last time you know she laid an egg?
I lost a hen to ascites about a month ago, she was a Leghorn and about 5yo.
I've been getting about two eggs daily, only two layers in the pen, up until we went out of town for 5 days. I know she was laying normally before I left, but this could have happened any time during that trip, we were gone for 5 days.

I've been getting about two eggs daily, only two layers in the pen, up until we went out of town for 5 days. I know she was laying normally before I left, but this could have happened any time during that trip, we were gone for 5 days.
If she is internally laying or has ascites it would be a bit early to notice anything if she's laid an egg within the last week.
Is her crop emptying properly?

If she is internally laying or has ascites it would be a bit early to notice anything if she's laid an egg within the last week.
Is her crop emptying properly?
As far as I can tell, her crop is emptying properly. I'll remove food and water tonight and check in the morning.

She is continuing to act dopey. Puffed up at times, watery poops in the crate with white urates draining from her vent. Since I haven't seen any normal poops, I am worried about a blockage of some sort, possible Egg Yolk Peritonitis, though I have very little experience with that so don't feel like I can make an accurate diagnosis.
Hoping the members I tagged will join in soon.

Back
Top Bottom