Lacing genes

There are two common types of lacing, one is the kind seen on Wyandottes, and Cochins. This type of lacing is made up of partridge(eb), columbia(Co), pattern gene(Pg), and melanotic(Ml). The other kind is what is seen on Polish, Sebrights, ect. This is made up of birchen(ER), columbia(Co), dark brown(Db), pattern gene(Pg), and melanotic(Ml).

Regarding the 2nd part of the OP's post: "How do you improve lacing?" These 2 pullets are siblings, but have different lacing issues on their backs.

Pullet #1 - Her lacing is too heavy on the back - the black edges need to be thinner, and the gold centers wider:
40221_goldilocks_1-23-11.jpg

Pullet #2 - Her lacing is incomplete on the back - it is mossy, peppered:
40221_lacey_1-23-11.jpg

I believe your birds are hybrid or heterozygous for the columbian gene. They only have one columbian gene and they need to two to improve the lacing. It is also my opinon that there are other genes needed to get very good lacing, what they are I can not say at this time. As others have stated, the bird needs to be homozygous for the brown gene, the columbian gene, and the pattern gene. It may also be that your birds are heterozygous at the E locus- maybe a birchen/brown heterozygote and also missing a columbian gene. The other reason would be because number one is a female and 2 is a male. Males adult plumage is different than females. Males will have zonal lacing on the breast- this depends on the kind of secondary color pattern found in the bird.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom