Lack of respect in young people today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I can attest to that! And Jordan is one of many great young people we have here on BYC. Proud to call him my friend.

Thanks, Cyn. Its so great to hear from you! I hope all is well with you and Tom.

Quote:
lol.png

Rude, foul mouthed kids aside....if you have a 110 lb. shepherd mix in your house, why in the world are you worried about anyone breaking in? If you live in a rural area that is usually quiet, of course your dog is going to bark at any neighborhood noises that are out of the ordinary...it is what a good dog does. This does not necessarily mean those people were up to no good, it just means the dog noticed people outside that are normally not out there.....big deal.
roll.png

I have dogs that do not bark at every little thing and only bark if there is a large predator~bear or coyote~or if there is a human going by on foot, a rarity. If the younger dog barks more than once I turn on a light to investigate if someone is in my yard and up to no good. If there is no one in my yard and they are merely passing by~loud or not loud~I return to my bed and sleep.

I can't even imagine getting in my car and actually driving towards the noisy and loud rude young people and expect that they would give a rat's red behind what I wanted them to do and would fully expect them to be rude to me.....its what young kids who party say to folks at 2 am in the morning when they aren't doing anything but being a little loud on a country road!
lol.png

In the broad scheme of things, kids being loud is just kids being young and dumb....such is life.

Heck, loud kids do not worry me~obviously just doing dumb kid things....its the quiet people out at 2 am that you have to worry about!
wink.png

I agree with you. You work hard to create an enviroment of peace and tranquility and some young punks spoil it. I moved from the city and I don't want boom boxes, loud cars or even rowdy kids walking down my street at 2 am.

I live in the middle of nowhere-I mean really nowhere. I have 3 driveways that leads to my house-each has many signs stating-"private" or No trespassing-does this stop people? Noooo. We are always on high alert when we see a vehicle around our houses because you are either very lost or very lost. Only those that are invited know where we live! I am a property Nazi-cant tell you how mnay times Ive caught people down at my chickens-or staring at my FIL sportcar's that sits away from the road! You cant even see it from the road! It's not just kids its people too
he.gif

Its more than just the lack of respect by the youth. There are other social factors in play. "Back in the day",
old.gif
when 18 year olds could drink beer, I remember having beers at friends houses with their parents around, no need to sneak around. There was no great mystery around alcohol. Now drugs have made the situation much more difficult:

http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/4867228

I honestly don't know what I would have done if I had caught one of these punks as they went through a car. I refuse to cower in the house if I see this going on.

Copied from http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=280067

"The
children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L.
Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277
(1953)."

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless
beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and
impatient of restraint.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of
today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for
parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as
if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is
foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest
and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

It is an extract from a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274!

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=408989

Some things never change.

Thanks for illustrating the point I was trying to make about 8 pages back.
lau.gif

I remember translating Roman letters lamenting "KIDS TODAY!"
old.gif

Nothing changes.

'Kids today .....'

'Ain't it awful'.

'Things ain't what they used to be .....'

'In my day ......'

We grow up to sound like our parents if we aren't careful. Let's keep this in perspective. For every kid that's bad mannered or thoughtless I meet dozens that are polite and thoughtful. I'm not sure that the ratio is so good amongst adults. The problem described by the OP is not limited to young people. The real causes of antisocial behaviour are complex and probably permanent in a materialistic culture. I think that we have to live with the fact that we might produce a better family ourselves but the rest of the world won't change for us any time soon.

Is the best response to antisocial behaviour really more antisocial behaviour in return as some have suggested? I really don't think so. Firing a gun near to unarmed drunken kids is dangerous and you might induce someone who doesn't shoot at the ground to return to your home one night. Threatening people with dogs can lead to them being poisoned. Chasing noisy drunks in the middle of the night might lead to rather more than verbal abuse in return - men have been murdered in England doing just that. These all seem like dangerous games to me. Keep your reactions to events within your own property boundaries and ignore noise from beyond. Drunks eventually go home but people who feel offended or threatened might return and do more than you would want.

Another aspect of this issue is the common complaints about ever increasing limitations of personal freedom. Folk complain about the possibility of changes to gun laws, internet surveillance and all of the other restrictions that have been heaped upon us over the last few years. I can sympathise with many. However, the argument doesn't really hold water if we demand freedoms that suit us and yet seek to deny others the freedoms that suit them. I would much rather put up with noisy drunks passing by in the night than have a neighbour who blasts holes in the road to scare them away. In fact, the result of confrontations such as that is likely to be the restriction of gun ownership rather than the locking up of kids who might go to a party.

I find myself wondering "What is wrong with the kids today"
yes they are alot more spoiled than we were. more luxuries, electronics etc. but also fewer job opportunities, higher tuition in college, higher prices on cars, insurance, rent, utilities..etc. wondering how the young ones can even find a job that will provide for a family!
I see some of my kids are buckling under the financial burdens they have. So much that two of my kids moved back in with me along with their families. There are few jobs in this area.
also as far as the rudeness sometimes I can understand it. frustration, stress and I see so many rude adults and even teachers, police and so called leaders.
Just do the Math...my parents lived on ONE income and we had a beautiful home, good health care, new furniture, new car..etc....there is no way a family can do all that during these times. and it doesn't seem to get any better!!
I do worry about the young ones and their future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom