Lack of respect in young people today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Agreed. It also helps when learning science terms and "bigger" words with Latin roots in English. Knowing some Latin would probably contribute to higher ACT and SAT scores.

It does. My mom got us a special book about Greek and Latin roots of English words. It had cartoon pictures to help you remember the words, so it wasn't just a "boring textbook" I actually absorbed a lot of it and it DOES help in college, and on the tests.

Geez. My text was booorrrring. I love vocabulary (as some of you may have noticed) and that's what makes all the difference, in new languages.

Quote:
That pretty much says it all to me. The OP did not consider it an emergency. Called the barracks? Isn't that where the troopers try to sleep? If one is truly alarmed, one calls 911!

I suspect that's why the troopers didn't roll.

I've read this whole thread and I'm really tired but I just have to comment. Sorry if this doesn't come out as diplomatic as I usually try to be. First, rudeness; there is no excuse for it. Ever. When I grew up, we had 3 tv channels and usually couldn't get reception on at least one of them. What I knew was what I was exposed to from my parents, their friends, my teachers, my friends and my animals. That is how I learned how to act. I wasn't allowed to associate with people that misbehaved. AND, there were consequences to those people that misbehaved. In school they got 'licks'. At home, spankings. Adults that misbehaved badly enough went to jail. Summary; if you behaved badly routinely, the good and decent people didn't want to be around you.

Today, we are so saturated with misbehavior. How many channels of it can you see right now on tv? Most of us have what, 50 to 100 channels. How many of those have someone that is portrayed to be a 'hero' that is misbehaving? Maybe 20% or more? There are so many OUTSIDE INFLUENCES on us today, that there is no consistency in anything. Usually both parents work. Teachers aren't allowed to discipline. Internet. In short, its so confusing to know what is 'good' anymore. There are so few consequences for acting badly.

So we have little brats running in 'packs' like dog or coyotes and pack behavior takes on a life of its own. I'll bet that if any of the boys in the OP's story were alone, they would not have spoken to her that way. And alone, young people don't know how to behave.

One more thing; I believe that it is not only the OP's business, it is her responsibility to look out for her property and that of her neighbors. Good people MAKE IT THEIR BUSINESS and get involved...

Quote:
A voice of reason!
thumbsup.gif

And one more thing; The fact that the OP was concerned and called for law enforcement help should have been enough to warrant a welfare check by an officer. Who knows what the boys were doing out there; breaking in to cars, or they could have had a car accident and were in need of help-what ever it was the officer had an obligation to keep the peace. Protect and serve, remember. When law enforcement won't cooperate (and that happens more often than you can imagine) then you are on your own to do what you have to do. At that point, it most certainly is your business and responsibility...

Quote:
A voice of reason!
thumbsup.gif

Just what I was thinking! I was waiting to bump the post if it seemed to be sinking in the Sea of Assumption, having foundered on the rocks at Ain't It Awful Point.

I was once a kid and so were most other adults, I assume. Despite my age and occasional grumpiness I can remember some of my childhood. I confess that I did things that older people sometimes didn't like. We didn't knowing break any laws but groups of youngsters can be noisy and irritating. They can forget that other people are asleep and make noise that disturbs them. That's the inconsiderate and, perhaps, moderately rebellious nature of youth. Most kids will grow up to be responsible adults because inconveniencing older folk and hanging out with friends is not an inevitable step towards a life of crime.

Whilst accepting that some kids are rude and, probably so are their parents, many would respond positively to a polite request to quieten down or move on. However, the spectacle of a nightie clad lady driving up to them at 2.00am demanding to know what they were doing and, perhaps, accusing them of criminal intent does not encourage a polite reply. In fact, most kids would see that sight as an example of what is wrong with adult society. They might even discuss the decline in adult standards of behaviour on an internet forum. The spectacle of a guy waving a gun at them might serve to teach them that adults were dangerous and unpredictable so they might consider arming themselves for protection.

Readers of William Blake's works will know his views on the generation divide. He believed that jealous adults, constrained by responsibility themselves, resented the freedom, playfulness and innocence of youth. Those adults attempt to restrict the freedom of children and thereby teach them to be secretive and underhanded in what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom