Lack of respect in young people today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Yeah, back in my day, in Latin class.... aw crap. How old am I? Old enough that I'll have to teach my own kids Latin.

My DS's grade school offers Latin as a language. He wants to take it. I'm not sure he's ready.

Quote:
Yeah, back in my day, in Latin class.... aw crap. How old am I? Old enough that I'll have to teach my own kids Latin.

My DS's grade school offers Latin as a language. He wants to take it. I'm not sure he's ready.

Latin was easily the most useful language I ever took. It helps a lot in college, in the sciences.

I studied Latin in college. I was one class short of a minor in it.
lol.png

There is nothing like studying Latin to illustrate the parts of speech and the importance of grammar.

Quote:
Agreed. It also helps when learning science terms and "bigger" words with Latin roots in English. Knowing some Latin would probably contribute to higher ACT and SAT scores.

I have always been interested in learning Latin. My old pastor's kids all learned it (homeschooled) Right now I'm reading The Comic Latin Grammar-A new and facetious introduction to the Latin tongue...we'll see how it goes. Considering it was written in the 1800's
lol.png

Last edited:
Latin is a language as dead as it can be
It killed the ancient romans and now its killing me
"Found in an ancient high school latin Book" back in the day

In the Mensa forums, half the posts are in Latin. I tell ya'... you wanna get your grammar and tenses right. Conjugate, gentlemen, conjugate!!!

Though it in no way justifies the excessively rude response the OP received, to ask "what are you doing" outside your own property does sound confrontational to me. One does not have to be guilty of something to take offense to a thinly veiled accusation.

Did the OP KNOW for sure that the kids had been drinking, were at a party, were underage, or that anyone was driving drunk? It seems like a lot of assumptions, and although they may in reality be close to the mark, the OP really had no way of knowing for sure. How long were the kids there being loud, and was it just social laughing and loud talking? (anyone socializing in a big group may be loud and oblivious to outsiders-think of big group family birthday parties at your local restaurant). Were they cursing and screaming just for the heck of it; littering and generally wreaking havoc? If they were merely being loud and doing what kids do, I can see why the police did not want to spend resources to do what you didn't try first: assess the situation and the threat. How difficult would it have been, if the kids were there more than a few minutes without moving on or quieting down, to go out and ask them to please keep it down as it's the middle of the night. Often a gentle reminder, even with drunks and teenagers, can go a long way to keep the peace. Guys talking loudly is not necessarily a precursor to property crimes, rape and pillaging. It's annoying; it may even be rude, but just like the idiot talking on the cell phone slowing down the grocery store check out, it's not illegal in and of itself. Just because you have "no reason for being out there at 2 am" does not mean that others don't have their reasons.

All of those suggestions of more controntational methods would only serve to escalate the problem, if not now then in the form of possible retribution later on. I'm not saying not to be aware and not to take precautions for your well being. I'm just saying jumping the gun, literally or figuratively speaking, can cause more harm.

Remember a few years back, a young guy in New Orleans knocked on the wrong door in a suburban neighborhood and was shot and killed by the residents? They had been paranoid because they had been the victims of multiple pranks and property crimes.

I just got back from the feed store.. On my way home I turned at the intersection a few blocks up from me and this teenager a few houses down was waving at me. I stop and back up and wait for them . He says.... What's up?.... I say nothing much..... he says " Do you have a lighter?" I drive off........
roll.png
I would have never thought of stopping someone to ask for anything like that at that age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom