Lacombe’s free range children

I’m new to all this chicken talk and care, but I have read through some of the articles on here and some other places around the web. So after about 3 months of research and web surfing, I bit the bullet and bought 25 New Hampshire day old chicks from Strombergs. I have seen a lot of mixed feelings about strombergs , but I decided to go with them due to the fact they were the only ones selling New Hampshire’s at the time. Every where else was sold out. So I built my coop in about a day minus paint and roofing right now I have a 8’x8’x8’ coop. So after a weekend of painting and getting the coop ready for the new chicks they arrived a week later but on time. Now Strombergs does not hatch its own chicks they use many different Hatcheries. My chicks came from Mann Lake LTD. I got the chicks at the local post office at 5 in the morning. But was not able to pick up until 8. My youngest son (age 2) went with me. He was so excited when he heard the chicks from the box they got shipped in. But sad when I told him we had to wait until we got home to open them. So we got home and he got excited again saying chicken chicken where are you. But more on him later. To my surprise only 1 chick did not make it on this two day mail journey but 2 others looked pretty bad off and like they were runts or just really small. 8 of them had pasty butt. Including the two runts. We got them cleaned up. So it’s been a week now of having these chicks and the two runts did not make it so I’m now down to 22 birds. 3 ended up getting pasty butt a second time got them cleaned up, and I’m adding some probiotics to the water. For now that’s all I have. If you have any questions about my coop or anything please don’t hesitate to ask. I love constructive criticism/ feedback as I am new and know I will make some mistakes.
:welcome Welcome to BYC if you need help or have any questions we are here to help you. Sorry to hear about what happened to your little fluff balls.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
None of your attachments are viewable.
You can use the 'Upload a File' button and select your pictures one at a time from your photo gallery then attach them to your post by clicking either Thumbnail or Full Image at the top of the image list under the 'Insert every image as a...' heading.

-byc-autumn.png

Back
Top Bottom