Ladies, Do you know how to change a tire on your vehicle?

Ladies, do you know how to change a tire on your vehicle?

• Yes, I do and I will

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but prefer not to

• No way

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, but I'd be willing to learn

• Total voters
Quote:
Yes! I refuse to take my truck to have anyone else put on tires because of that reason. If I put them on then I know I can get them back off again. If any person puts them on really, but they screw 'em on at 100psi with the air tools and I just can't do that.

Yep.

But I drive a 3/4 ton truck so I also carry a small air compressor and a can of fix a flat because if I can limp home or to a service station, I'm going to try that first.

Wrestling one of those big tires around on the side of the highway certainly isn't my idea of fun.

I tried to help my mom use a can of Fix a Flat once. It didn't do jack to air up her tire. I'm not a believer.
I carry plugging tools and a rechargable/cigarette lighter plug-in compressor.

One thing I should mention that we learned from my mom's experience:

CHECK YOUR SPARE REGULARLY!!!!!

What happened was she had a flat, and then we got her spare down from underneath (it's a Yukon) and it was about as flat as the tire with the nail in it!!!​

I live in Holland and I have a bike instead of a car.
Yes I know how to change it
big_smile.png

My Dad taught me how to change the tire on our '75 Toyota Landcruiser. Then I ended up changing the tire on a camping trip while he sat in the front seat enjoying his leisure.

Now, I can change the tire on my Trailblazer only if desperate.

TWO BEEFS of changing tires nowadays:

1. My wheels took a long socket. The regular old tire iron didn't fit in the hole. Three trips to the dealer didn't net the right tool. DH finally bought the 'special' socket and wrench for me at Sears.

2. When a tire shop puts your wheels on, they tighten the lugs with the impact wrench SO tight, even my DH has a hard time breaking them loose. I have been physically unable to turn a lug or two, only to find he wasn't able to, either. I believe if you ask the tire guy to tighten it, then back it off just a tad, maybe you won't be stuck because you're 'stuck'.

3. DH is a mechanic, so if he's around, I have him do the tire. But I've done my car's tire twice in a year. It was awful. Nothing like the '75 Landcruiser.

I know how, but I am hoping that someone will call 911 when they see a small round woman rolling around on the ground by the side of the car.

Do know how, have done so and have done so for others. Also oil changes and other minor maintenance and repairs.

There isn't always cell service or a handy gentleman around to assist you....
hu.gif

For those stuck lug nuts, find a length of heavy pipe that'll slide over the handle of the lug-nut removing tool, something about 3 ft long to extend the handle. It gives enough extra leverage (sometimes when smacked with a rock or sledge hammer or jumped on) to break loose the nut. I carried that and some WD40 or other penetrating oil for my 66 BelAir monster. Give all parts a few squirts, sit back and study the situation while it works, then crack 'em loose with the extended tool.
Of course these days I drive a different vehicle and have never done anything on it. Guess I'll just have to look cute; my shoulder barely handles this typing...
*sigh*

My wife knows how. She has a cell phone and a AAA card.

One time I had a blowout in Texas while on vacation. We had the kids with us. I pulled over to the side of the road and was looking at the tire. A man with a family pulled over and helped ME change the tire. I was well dressed, and he did all the dirty work. LOTS of nice people out there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom