Ladies not using the nesting boxes!

cooperstowncoop

Hatching
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Upstate NY
I have four, 8 month old Brahmas that have all started laying - , one started at six months, now the others have caught up. Unfortunately only two use a nesting box! I have two boxes, but they seem to favor one. So I get two eggs in the box and and I find two eggs left in the sand outside the boxes. They seem to lay at different times throughout the day, so I don't think they vying for the one favorite box. Any suggestions for my 'sand layers'?'

mine only layed eggs out of the box the box once. They also only use one box even though we have three. Where do you have food or water at and what bedding do you have in the box.

Their food and water are kept in the run. not any in the coop. The coop is 4 x 5 and built up off the ground, and is connected to a 5 X 12 run. . Both the run and coop have a sand base. I use wood shavings ( think hamster bedding) in the nesting boxes. The boxes are attached so they don't use any inside coop floor space. I can't figure out why they only like the one box or the open sand??

With new layers, they don't always make it back to the box in time. Be patient, they'll get there. Make sure you mess up any "nest" you find in the run.

Back
Top Bottom