spectrumranch

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
South Dakota & Wisconsin
1lapr-1.jpg

1lam2.jpg

dLadyAmherstm.jpg

Those are absolutely beautiful!! There's a woman near me selling those. They are beautiful!!

How hardy are these pheasants?? I know you get cold weather there in cheese country!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Such a beautiful bird. I never tire of looking at others pictures of the Amherst or Golden's.

Am I the only one to look at the Amherst and think both the Yellow Golden and Golden/Red Golden both derived from the Amherst?

I realize the Yellow is supposed to be man-made and the Golden or Red Golden is not really a pure Golden but I have never seen any difference just more pristine colors in some of the Red Golden's. (I am definitely not referring to any hybrid or 1/2 breed. Only referring to what is supposed to be a pure bred bird)

Quote:
All ruffed pheasants are very hardy, pretty much the easiest to keep, they take cold fairly well too, so no worries there.
I see people worried about that all the time, pretty much the only no cold tolerant pheasants, are the peacock pheasants, all others do just fine in it. Just dont mix them with blame chickens like everyone seems to be doing, it's just asking for trouble eventually with disease

Quote:
No doubt they shared a common ancestor in their evolutionary history, but the Golden is a distinct species. It is generally accepted that the two species "split" in more recent history, perhaps a little more than 500,000 years ago, but both are now regarded as true, distinct species. The common ancestor probably carried traits of both species before the events that split them up.

Dan

Quote:
No doubt they shared a common ancestor in their evolutionary history, but the Golden is a distinct species. It is generally accepted that the two species "split" in more recent history, perhaps a little more than 500,000 years ago, but both are now regarded as true, distinct species. The common ancestor probably carried traits of both species before the events that split them up.

Dan

Are they able to produce offspring that are fertile when crossed?

Quote:
They can and both the Chrysolophus can produce fertile offspring with members of their other closely related genera such as Phasianus and Syrmaticus. This has been done frequently in captivity, at one time for research and more recently, to get some the "traits" each carry to "create" new mutations (told to me years ago by one of the "creators" of a now popular variety of Golden mutation).

Dan

Back
Top Bottom