lady called are you the TURKEY GURU

put them right in the flock, I take orders for poults have 675 ordered this spring so far, thats about 850 to go, I will raise them (bb) until weight then butcher or sell! tom!!!!

I decided to look at the postal regs a bit closer, since I was surprised that the PO could just give them to somebody else. Thank you for pointing that out, it was interesting!

For anybody who might be interested, I am copying this from the USPS site:

524 Disposal
Any mailpiece containing live animals that cannot be delivered to the addressee or returned to the sender within 72 hours (for live, day–old poultry) or within the delivery period marked on the parcel (for other mailable animals) must be disposed of immediately. For safety reasons, dispose of mailpieces not marked with a delivery period when it reasonably appears the articles cannot be delivered or returned in a viable condition. See POM 691.52 for disposal information. Also see 742.3 for the disposition of mailpieces that are refused by air carriers.

When referencing live animals, saying that they must be 'disposed of' made me cringe, so I found what it said in POM 691.52:

691.522 Noninjurious Items
Dispose of other perishable mail, drugs, and cosmetics as follows:
a. Perishable Items. The postmaster must sell immediately all salable
perishable matter that cannot be forwarded or returned before spoiling,
day-old poultry that cannot be delivered or returned within 72 hours
after hatching, and other animals that cannot be returned to the sender
alive. The addressee and postal employees may not purchase any
such item from the postmaster. The postmaster must send the
proceeds of the sale, less a 25 percent commission (but not less than 1
dollar) and the proper money order fee and postage to the mailer by
postal money order, with an explanation on PS Form 3820, Sale or
Destruction of Perishable Mail, of the action taken. Deliver all
perishable articles or animals that cannot be sold to any public or
charitable organization that will accept them. Also try delivering live
animals to a local humane society or animal shelter that will take them.

TURKEY GURU - i would care for the turkeys you picked up from the post office but would try to find the real owners of the turkeys. maybe they had a accident on there way to the post office .there could be a million reasons why these birds were left. i am sure the shipper knows who they are suppose to go to. as for the post office we all know how they operate. i wouldnt keep them if i could find the owners.

I went down to my PO and offered to foster any boxes of chicks that didn't get picked up in time, until the rightful owners could come get them... and there has to be a reasonable time limit on that... I'd be freaked if 4 months down the road, someone was like "Hey, i want my peacocks back"... after I spent 4 months on them...but a few days? No problem. I just hate the idea of them dying in a box on a shelf, no food, water or heat. makes me sick.

I would certainly hesitate to gloat over a 'finder's keeper's ' moment, when someone paid serious money for those birds, and likely was unavoidably delayed for reasons we just can't know. I always tell my children to look into their hearts, where God is telling them the right thing to do. I think that regardless of religious beliefs, we all have an understanding of right vs. wrong... and right seems to be a helping others sort of thing, and wrong seems to be profiting from other people's misfortune. Glad the turkeys are getting the care they need, now pick up a phone book, and call the rightful owners and see if they want their birds back.

I 'am a turkey farmer the post office knows that, not like I went begging for them! you guys kill me try real hard not to beleive or trust someone! ya see your just not quite right! and really whos cares what kinda of farmer you are can ya help! I can tom!! and then look on criags list in washington tom the turkey guru heirloom heritage turkey poults 8 breeds yep almost famous, readers digests wrote an piece about my birds!!!

A person knows when a live shipment is shipped, they then have a responsibility to pick up the order, 24 hours is reasonable time. Poor adult turkeys stuck in a shipping box becaus the buyer didn't pick them up!

Congrats on your birds. I ordered 100 buff orpingtons once and when I got to the post office to pick them up the hatchery had sent me 102 buff orpingtons and an extra 112 EEs. I was happy but really shocked. It happened because my previous order was EEs and then I canceled that order and placed a different order for the BOs. The person who packed the box didn't read the invoice correctly. Talk about scrambling to try to find a brooder set up fast. It all turned out good though.

I wonder why on earth someone would pay that much for live animals and then just abandon the whole thing....sad.

Quote:
OK Tom. I'd sure like to read the Reader's Digest issue. Which month and year was it? Thanks Ziggy!!

I would like to see that one myself and I wonder if there are any pictures in it?
smile.png
What about a link to a Washington Craigs list?

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom