Laid a strange egg, stopped laying, and now has a wound on her wattle...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dandelle, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Dandelle

Dandelle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Hello! Maybe two weeks ago, my delaware hen laid a yolk and a rubbery egg-thing with a yolk in it on the top of the coop one evening. After that, she hasn't laid an egg since. Soon after though, I noticed a hard bump on one of her wattles that look scabbed up. Today, it's quite worse and bleeding. I also saw a small scab on one of her... ear skin flaps (sorry, forgot the name).

I don't know if the two things are related, but does anyone know what's up? She's the boss hen, so I doubt she's getting picked on.

edit: whoops, forgot to add the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Hi do you have a pic you can upload? Sounds like dry fowl pox to me.

3. Dandelle

Mar 2, 2012
    Round Rock, TX

Eek that doesn't sound good. I edited in some pics, I meant to put them in before posting but forgot.

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    This is a picture of my Welsummer when she had it. Your chicken looks like she has a wound like someone pecked her or she got it stuck on something and cut it. But I may be wrong.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. Dandelle

Mar 2, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    What a pretty hen :) I think you were right about the fowl pox... she has more spots now. I suppose I just wait it out?
    And thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by