laid yesterday not today

yeziroo93

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 26, 2013
fort worth, Tx
My one year old hen lucy laid ger first egg of the year yesterday but today i have yet to see an egg is should i just keep waiting or can.someone tell me why

One of my girls just started to lay on Sunday...
Since then I have gotten an egg every other day, so I got 3 eggs so far this week.
I don't expect to get one tomorrow, since I got one today.
Although I'll keep my fingers crossed that I do.

Just trying to figure it all out. For good healthy chicks I would wait at least a week after they start laying to hatch any out. When they go broody you will know, they have this primal growl that comes out of them anytime someone or something tries to get near the nest. She will also start to pluck chest feathers out to warm the eggs. I have had one go broody on me and took eggs out of the fridge for her to hatch with 100% hatch rate. The trick when they are cold is to let it come to room temp before you put it under her.

There are many reasons why she hasn't laid an egg yet. This is wintertime with strange cold snaps and reduced daylight hours. It can take a while to get used to the schedule. I let my hens rest in the wintertime and don't provide extra light so some days I get eggs from everyone and some days I'll be lucky to find one. If this is her first egg ever I would think that her schedule may not be set until spring. If you are worried you can feel her belly and make sure there isn't an egg there but I wouldn't worry.

Yeah i guess it was in the 49-60s all weeks then bamn out of nowhere 20 degree weather i guess i just have to wait but patience isnt my best virtue

Idk i want her to lay eggs to have a chick i tried to leave it in there because she would sit on it on and off since yesterdat but then just stopped and i thought if it got too cold the egg wouldnt start to form so i just ate it yummy :D lol but whats up with her getting on and off

Back
Top Bottom