Lakeshore Eggers or ColorPack Layers or Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Newyorkrita, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Newyorkrita

Newyorkrita Songster

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    So I was looking for colored egg layers. See ones called Lakeshore Eggers at Meyer. Read the fine print and see they were developed in Europe. Then at Freedom Ranger Hatchery I see what they are calling Easter Eggers. But get this it said This breed has no relation to the Ameraucana/Araucana. And that they are imported from the Czech Republic.

Looking at Jenks Hatchery I see their ColorPack Layers. Again not related to Americana or Araucana and created in Czechoslovakia.

Sure are looking like these all might be the same thing with a bunch of different names. Are they?

2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    If it lays colored eggs and comes in an array of feather colors, comb types, leg colors, and just doesn’t have a consistent look then it’s an Easter Egger. Many hatcheries are cashing in on the colored egg craze by marketing their Easter Eggers as Lakeshore Eggers, Super Blue Eggers, Green Queen Eggers, Cuckoo Bluebars, and such. They are all Easter Eggers. Any chicken that lays blue, green, or olive eggs is descended from the first Araucanas imported to the US in the 1940’s.

3. Newyorkrita

Newyorkrita Songster

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    Drives me nuts when the hatcheries think up different names for what I think is the same bird. But somehow it feels like the Legbar crosses should be called something different and not Easter Eggers.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: