Lame 2 year old Gander - Niacin?

DaybreakOrps

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 20, 2014
Strawberry Plains, TN
Hello All:

I recently had the opportunity to come upon a lame 2 year old gander who was in a gaggle of Sebastopol geese during breeding season. He and another male were the only breeders and he was getting beaten up pretty badly. At any rate, I offered to work with him to see if I could help with the lameness and treat his wounds. He is seriously pigeon toed and his owner stated that he had been that way since he was a gosling. He goes down almost completely on one hock and the knee joints look "bulky" - not necessarily swollen or tender. I know about adding Niacin and Riboflavin to a goslings diet to correct or prevent this problem when they are young, but has anyone had any success in treating an adult goose? If so, what method was used. His current treatment is Tylan 50 to prevent infection from the wounds daily for 5 days, Valbazen wormer (1 time today and another in 7 days and another in 30 days), Neosporin and antiseptic on the wounds, and Rooster Booster in his feed with added B3. I am not worried about the superficial and even deep wounds, but more interested in the leg treatment.

Thanks ahead of time for sharing your experiences.

So I have an update. I have continued to monitor him but felt like the vitamins that were in his water and food were not being consumed, so I began Vitamin B Complex injections. 1/2 cc daily. His feet seem to have a little more color as I have massaging his legs each evening and caring for his feet. Of course, he is not on the ground and is confined to a 3x4 kennel. He is still a little nervous in the new location so I have not done any leg stretching yet. But I was thinking about a brace and how that could possibly help him long term.

So I have an update. I have continued to monitor him but felt like the vitamins that were in his water and food were not being consumed, so I began Vitamin B Complex injections. 1/2 cc daily. His feet seem to have a little more color as I have massaging his legs each evening and caring for his feet. Of course, he is not on the ground and is confined to a 3x4 kennel. He is still a little nervous in the new location so I have not done any leg stretching yet. But I was thinking about a brace and how that could possibly help him long term.
That is great that your able to do the injections, They should help alot faster than giving in water. It is so sweet of you to offer to care for this gander. I hope he responds to all your care. Please keep us updated. Have you tried water therapy with him? that is one way to build up muscle and help him relax then massage right after, Coconut oil on the legs and feet may help too. Just keep him on non slick areas.

Well, it turns out that my gander is a goose! She laid an egg, which I think is a sign that her overall health is doing well and she is getting used to being at our place. The fact that she is sitting on the couch next to me is another clue that I have gotten! I have continued the B Complex vitamins and her wounds have healed relatively well. She isn't on Tylan anymore and today we did our first experiment in "non-pond" water, i.e. my bathtub. One of her legs has shown improvement, but it was not the worst one. I think the worst one is going to require a lot of time and physical therapy. We have been stretching and moving in normal patterns, although she would progress quicker if she would let me lay her on her back. Not happening, yet. I am of the mindset that it took nearly 2 years for it to get this bad and it may take at least that long to get it back to normal. I think that I am going to take her to the vet if I can find an avian vet nearby, as I am fairly certain that the bad leg is going to require surgical intervention.

Thank you so much for responding!

Well, it turns out that my gander is a goose! She laid an egg, which I think is a sign that her overall health is doing well and she is getting used to being at our place. The fact that she is sitting on the couch next to me is another clue that I have gotten! I have continued the B Complex vitamins and her wounds have healed relatively well. She isn't on Tylan anymore and today we did our first experiment in "non-pond" water, i.e. my bathtub. One of her legs has shown improvement, but it was not the worst one. I think the worst one is going to require a lot of time and physical therapy. We have been stretching and moving in normal patterns, although she would progress quicker if she would let me lay her on her back. Not happening, yet. I am of the mindset that it took nearly 2 years for it to get this bad and it may take at least that long to get it back to normal. I think that I am going to take her to the vet if I can find an avian vet nearby, as I am fairly certain that the bad leg is going to require surgical intervention.

Thank you so much for responding!
Well congrats on the egg, she'll be much easier to help also those ganders can be a handful once hormones begin to flow. Sounds like she is in a good place with you. I hope she makes a full recovery no matter how long it takes. Please update when you can. Geese have a problem with their airsacs when on their backs. So I have been told by goose experts on here.

She is now laying eggs almost every day and very concerned about where they are going. She won't voluntarily come out of her hutch, turning her back to me to stay in the "nest" so it looks like treatment will have to wait until she gets past this broodiness! Her eggs are likely not fertile so I thought I might let her hatch a few duck eggs so she can be a mommy!

She is now laying eggs almost every day and very concerned about where they are going. She won't voluntarily come out of her hutch, turning her back to me to stay in the "nest" so it looks like treatment will have to wait until she gets past this broodiness! Her eggs are likely not fertile so I thought I might let her hatch a few duck eggs so she can be a mommy!
You'll have to make sure she can come out and bath and eat. That is very important that they take care of themselves. Let us know how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom